First you should consult with an OISS Advisor for the best plan of action. The advice may be to return to your home country to change your status. Note: It can take 6 to 10 months for USCIS to process a change of status application from within the U.S.
Please complete/gather the following documents before submitting an application to USCIS:
- Form I-539
- Personal statement showing how you have been supporting yourself since your arrival in the U.S.
- Application Fee (Personal check, Certified Bank Check or Money Order made out to “U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services”)
- SEVIS Fee Receipt (Click Here for instructions)
- Copy of your Form I-94, Record of Arrival/Departure
- Copy of your passport biographic pages (showing name, citizenship, date of passport expiration, etc.)
- Copy of your current U.S. visa
- Copy of the principal alien's Form I-20, DS-2019 or I-797, current U.S. visa and I-94
- Evidence of financial resources - bank statements, affidavits of support, scholarship/assistantship award letters, or a combination of these documents