Changing Your Status

An OISS Advisor will help you plan the best way to submit your application.

There are many visa classifications which permit either full- or part-time study.

  • If you are in the U.S. in a visa classification other than F-1 or J-1 student, please check with the OISS for restrictions specific to your immigration status.
  • If your current status does not permit full-time study, you will not be eligible to enroll as a full-time student at UNH until you have received approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of your change of status.
  • Likewise, if you have been offered a graduate assistantship and your current immigration status does not permit employment, you will not be able to accept the offer until your status has changed.

Instructions for Applying for a Change of Status Within the U.S.

First you should consult with an OISS Advisor for the best plan of action. The advice may be to return to your home country to change your status. Note: It can take 6 to 10 months for USCIS to process a change of status application from within the U.S.

Please complete/gather the following documents before submitting an application to USCIS:

  • Form I-539
  • Personal statement showing how you have been supporting yourself since your arrival in the U.S.
  • Application Fee (Personal check, Certified Bank Check or Money Order made out to “U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services”)
  • SEVIS Fee Receipt (Instructions for paying I-901 Fee)
  • Copy of your Form I-94, Record of Arrival/Departure
  • Copy of your passport biographic pages (showing name, citizenship, date of passport expiration, etc.)
  • Copy of your current U.S. visa
  • Copy of the principal alien's Form I-20, DS-2019 or I-797, current U.S. visa and I-94
  • Evidence of financial resources - bank statements, affidavits of support, scholarship/assistantship award letters, or a combination of these documents