For course credit to transfer from another institution, the following criteria must be met:
NOTE: Currently enrolled students must complete a Transfer Credit Prior Approval Form before enrolling in courses at another college or university.
Who reviews transfer credit?
• Incoming students (have not started degree coursework yet) - Office of Admissions
• Current Students (have started degree coursework) - Registrar’s Office
I took coursework at another school/through Running Start/at a community college–can I transfer those credits to UNH?
• Any students who want to have previous coursework transferred to UNH must have an official transcript sent to the Registrar’s Office: Office of the Registrar, 11 Garrison Ave, Stoke Hall, Durham, NH 03824
• Electronic transcripts can be sent to Registrars.Office@unh.edu
• The Registrar’s Office cannot confirm how coursework may transfer until an official transcript is received and processed.
How do I know if my transcript has been received and processed?
• Please allow for several weeks from the time your transcript is sent for it to be reviewed.
• All students are emailed when their transfer credit has been applied.
• Any transfer credit is viewable on a student’s Degree Works evaluation
I have transfer credit for a course, but it is not satisfying a major requirement in Degree Works–why?
• Students who think their transfer credit may satisfy a major requirement need to talk to their academic advisor.
The academic advisor will complete paperwork through their Dean’s Office if they approve transfer coursework to fulfill major requirements.
• A student’s academic advisor will determine whether transfer courses will satisfy major requirements. The Registrar’s Office cannot determine if a class will fulfill a major requirement.
I think I have transfer credit, but I am not sure?
• Any transfer credit that has been awarded will display on a student’s Degree Works evaluation, which will show what coursework has been accepted and how it fits into the degree program.
Be sure to check under the “Other Courses” category, as some transfer credit is accepted as elective credit only.
I want to take courses at another school. How do I know if they will count for credit at UNH?
• Students who are interested in taking coursework a t another institution should complete a Transfer Credit Prior Approval form. This is the only official system to have courses reviewed for potential credit transfer.
o The Registrar’s Office will review for elective credit and Discovery coursework.
o The academic advisor will evaluate courses for major requirements.
Students who wish to receive credit for Advanced Placement exams from high school or the College Level Examination Program must have official scores sent directly from the College Board to UNH. More information available from the Office of Admissions.
The maximum credits accepted in transfer from all external sources:
Transfer credit is awarded for completed courses with a grade of “C” or better, provided those courses are comparable to courses offered at UNH.
No portion of the student's grade point average will transfer; transfer grades are not calculated into the UNH gpa.
Only courses awarded 2.5 or more semester credits can be used to satisfy Discovery Program requirements.
The Discovery Program Inquiry (INQ) requirement cannot be satisfied with transfer credit from another institution and must be taken at UNH.
Beginning on a students first day of classes at UNH, students will work with the Office of the Registrar and/or the Discovery Program Committee regarding any review of transfer credit used to meet Discovery Program requirements.
Students in their first or second semester at the university:
Students in their third semester or beyond at the university:
A course taken at another institution may not be used under the UNH repeated course rule. If credit is received for a UNH course, and an equivalent course is taken at another institution, no transfer credit will be allowed. Departments may accept equivalent course work at other institutions for grade only to satisfy departmental requirements, but no credit will be awarded.
Office of the Registrar, Stoke Hall 180, 11 Garrison Avenue, Durham, NH 03824-3511
Copyright © 2021
The University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH 03824 • (603) 862-1234
TTY Users: 7-1-1 or 800-735-2964 (Relay NH)