Financial Resources

We know that finances can be a barrier to starting college or completing your degree, and UNH has dozens of resources, options, and opportunities to help you remove those barriers. Scholarships, emergency funding resources, financial aid, and financial wellness resources are all available to you.


Student Emergency Financial Assistance (SEFA)

The Student Emergency Financial Assistance Fund (SEFA) provides UNH undergraduate and graduate students who are unable to meet essential expenses due to a temporary or unexpected hardship with short-term financial assistance once per academic year. Funds will be available until the fund is exhausted. Funding may be limited due to high demand, so apply early. 

To request Student Emergency Financial Assistance please complete the Student Emergency Financial Assistance Request Form 

UNH Law students: To request SEFA, please email the Office of the Assistant Dean for Students at

Consider making a gift to the Student Emergency Financial Assistance fund. Faculty and staff can also arrange a gift through a payroll deduction by contacting Business Services at (603) 862-2230. 




UNH Resources 

Undergraduate Grants and Scholarships

Graduate Grants, Scholarships and Fellowships

Financial Aid Office 

Visit the financial aid office to learn more about the aid available and how to apply! We highly recommend that you apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) to see what you may be eligible for. Completing the form does not commit you to any student loans but does help us determine eligibility. 

Federal Work-Study Program 

Financial aid that may be included in your aid package and provides funds for part-time employment. To use your work-study award, you must apply and get hired for a work-study job. To learn more about the Federal Work Study Program and look for available positions, visit UNH Career and Professional Services

Financial Literacy Resources 

The UNH Library has compiled a list of fantastic resources around financial literacy and resources available for students. 

Resources for International Students

It can be really challenging to access resources and support as an international student. Please visit this guide for a list of  resources available to international students! 




Student walking to class

Community Resources

211 Logo

211 Resource

There are more than 200 211 agencies across the United States, each with a team of compassionate, highly trained community specialists who are available to help you access the best local resources and services to address any need.

The 211 network in the United States responds to more than 21 million requests for help every year. Most calls, web chats, and text messages are from people looking for help meeting basic needs like housing, food, transportation, and health care.  Many different kinds of organizations operate the 211 service, including United Ways, Goodwill, Community Action Partnerships, and local crisis centers.

Thousands of caring, local experts are available to help, 24/7. Calls to 211 are confidential and can be anonymous.

211 Website

Helpful information for Recent Immigrants 

Womenade Logo


Womenade (See Below for regional locations) – Womenade assists men, women, and children by providing financial assistance for basic living expenses such as food, rent, utilities, car repairs, and gas. In some circumstances, Womenade can provide financial assistance in times of specific crisis. In order to receive aid from Womenade, the individual or family must be referred via an e-mail to Womenade by an approved validator such as a local school, doctor, church, or other area non-profit and be a resident in the area served. 

Womenade - Oyster River Womenade
Address: PO Box 554, Durham, NH 03824
Area Served: Durham, Lee, Madbury, and Newmarket

Womenade of Greater Squamscott

Address: PO Box 653, Stratham, NH 03885 

Area served: Brentwood, East Kingston, Exeter, Kensington, Newfields, Stratham, and surrounding areas

Womenaid of Greater Portsmouth

Address: PO Box 4154, Portsmouth, NH 03802 
Area served: Greenland, Newington, New Castle, Portsmouth and Rye

Dover Share Fund logo

Share Funds

Dover Share Fund
Dover Address: PO Box 385, Dover, NH 03820 Phone: (603) 617-6942
Funding for those in emergency one time situations for rent, mortgage, medication, car repairs (if needed for work), utilities etc. decided on a case-by-case basis. Must have denial from City Welfare and exhausted all other forms of assistance

Rochester Share Fund 
Rochester Address: 150 Wakefield Street, Suite 14, Rochester, NH 03839 Phone: (603) 335-0011
SHARE Fund is a nonprofit charitable outreach agency which provides various types of material and financial support to families and individuals in need during emergencies or times of severe hardship. Our primary goal is to provide the needed resources of food, shelter, and clothing. Strafford County: Area Served: East Rochester, Farmington, Gonic and Rochester

This list is not exhaustive. Search to see if your town offers a share fund or emergency fund for residents. 

NH Easy Gateway logo

NH Easy Gateway

The Department of Health and Human Services offers online services through NH EASY Gateway to Services, New Hampshire's Electronic Application System. Learn how to apply for assistance, check eligibility, track your application status, and more by visiting the NH EASY Gateway to Services web page. You can apply for Cash, Medical, SNAP (Food Assistance), Child Care, Medicare Beneficiary and Long Term Care Assistance through the NH Easy Gateway and learn about additional community resources you may be eligible for. 


Town of Durham Welfare Assistance

The Town of Durham provides emergency assistance to individuals and families who lack adequate resources. The Welfare Office acts to facilitate services by directing those in need of assistance to relief agencies at the county, state and federal levels, as well as to non-profit organizations who provide assistance to the needy. We strive to promote self–reliance and independence to all we serve so they may be productive members of this community.

Note: Students who are post-secondary education students and are not available for or refusing to seek full-time employment are not eligible for general assistance.