Housing Resources

No student should have to worry about homelessness, eviction or couch surfing when midterms, keeping your GPA up, and getting to work is already stressful enough. Below are some resources both on and off-campus that may be helpful. 

Inn-Between Logo

Inn-Between Program 

The Inn Between is available to UNH students to pay for housing during Thanksgiving, Spring Break and January Term. UNH also provides emergency support for undergraduate and graduate students experiencing emergency housing loss. To apply for the Inn Between Fund or receive help with urgent housing loss, contact the Basic Needs Coordinator and Case Manager at patty.mathison@unh.edu
Consider making a gift to the Inn Between Fund. Faculty and staff can also arrange a gift through a payroll deduction by contacting Business Services at (603) 862-2230.


Additional Housing Resources

The Community Supports and Housing Resource Guide is a publication of Granite State Independent Living in partnership with the UNH Institute for Health Policy and Practice under contract with the NH Department of Health and Human Services compiled in April 2017. This guide includes information for housing options, Veterans, temporary financial assistance, meals on wheels, transportation and more. 

Community Supports and Housing Resource Guide

211 Logo

There are more than 200 211 agencies across the United States, each with a team of compassionate, highly trained community specialists who are available to help you access the best local resources and services to address any need.

The 211 network in the United States responds to more than 21 million requests for help every year. Most calls, web chats, and text messages are from people looking for help meeting basic needs like housing, food, transportation, and health care. 

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) designated 211 as the 3-digit number for information and referrals to social services and other assistance in 2000. The 211 service is provided by more than 200 local organizations that are committed to serving their communities. Many different kinds of organizations operate the 211 service, including United Ways, Goodwill, Community Action Partnerships, and local crisis centers.

Thousands of caring, local experts are available to help, 24/7. Calls to 211 are confidential and can be anonymous.



Waypoint Logo

Every young person deserves an opportunity to live a life that is safe and that they love. Waypoint provides young people, ages 12 to 24, who are experiencing homelessness or are in high risk situations, with resources to survive the night and achieve for a lifetime.

If  you are a young person, 18-21, who is experiencing homelessness, are at risk of homeless, the Transitional Living Program can help.

TLP is a safe, time-limited housing program that provides supportive services to help young people toward self-sufficient, independent living.

As a TLP resident, you will receive assistance with employment, finishing high school education or equivalent. You contribute a portion of income to rent, and a percentage to savings, and meet weekly with a TLP care coordinator to work on reaching your goals.

In addition to safe housing, you will have access to educational, vocational and community resources and independent living skill building, and will benefit from the guidance and support of our staff, while you move toward independence.

You may remain in TLP for 12-18 months.

For more information about the Transitional Living Program


HUD Logo

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides housing support and uplifts communities through rental assistance, assistance with homeless resources, eviction  guidance and much more. 

Need advice?

Other New Hampshire Resources

HAVEN logo

HAVEN’s Housing First Program

Leaving an abusive relationship is one of the most difficult decisions our clients face. For many, it means having to decide to stay in an unsafe situation, or leave with nowhere to go. Nobody should have to choose between remaining in an unsafe home and having no home at all. 

HAVEN’s Housing First Program addresses two critical needs of survivors: Access to safe, affordable housing and economic resources to maintain safety.

HAVEN’s Housing Assistance Programs operate from a domestic violence housing-first framework that emphasizes safety and self-determination. Our programs provide housing advo

cacy to help survivors and their families establish housing stability and overcome barriers to obtaining long-term housing

The domestic violence housing-first framework has three central components:

  1. Survivor-driven, Trauma-informed, and Mobile Advocacy Support
  2. Community Engagement
  3. Flexible Financial Assistance

Learn more

Eviction Prevention Help 

If you are a renter in NH and unable to may rental payments, please contact your landlord or property manager as soon as possible. There are some emergency housing assistance and relief programs available to you.

The NH Housing Finance Authority administers both the HUD Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV) program and the State Emergency Housing and Utility Programs. You may reach them at 603-472-8623 or online, at: Emergency Rental Assistance For Rent and Utilities Is Available - New Hampshire Housing (nhhfa.org)

For additional information and emergency housing opportunities, NH-211 is a valuable resource for NH residents. You may call 211 from any area code 603 phone number for 24-hour assistance.

Tenant/Landlord Law, including lease agreements and evictions, differs by state. In New Hampshire, it is enforced by the NH Department of Justice, Consumer Protection Bureau. For more information, or to file a housing complaint, please contact them at (603) 472-8623. If you are low income, you may be eligible for free or low cost legal counsel. Please contact 603 Legal Aid to determine your eligibility and apply for services. The application is online, at: https://www.603legalaid.org/

While HUD cannot intervene in the eviction process, we do enforce the National Fair Housing Act. If you believe you are being discriminated against, please contact the Boston Regional Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity (FHEO) Office with questions or to file a discrimination complaint. They may be reached at:

Boston Regional Office of FHEO
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Thomas P. O'Neill, Jr. Federal Building
10 Causeway Street, Room 321
Boston, Massachusetts 02222-1092

(617) 994-8300
(800) 827-5005
TTY (800) 877-8339

Civil Rights Complaints: ComplaintsOffice01@hud.gov

Please contact the HUD Manchester Field Office at (603) 666-7510 or NH_Webmanager@hud.gov with any questions about HUD programs in New Hampshire.


The New Hampshire Court System's doors are open to all, whether you use a lawyer or represent yourself. There are several agencies that provide low-cost legal aid or free (pro bono) legal aid. You may also be able to hire a lawyer to help you with part of your legal case which could save time and money. 

Legal Assistance Resources 


Fuel and Electric Assistance Program

Community Action Partners Strafford County

Heating and electricity costs have risen dramatically in recent years, and continue to do so.  Community Action Partnership of Strafford County (CAPSC) can help you and your loved ones stay warm and live in security.  Over $2.2 million dollars was spent on fuel assistance to households in Strafford County during 2022.  Applying for the Fuel and/or Electric Assistance Program is the first step, and they are here to help.

Learn how to apply today! 


Consider shopping for household and furniture at one of these local organizations with free or low-cost options available! 

Habitat for Humanity: ReStore
Website: www.habitat.org/restores

Habitat for Humanity ReStores are nonprofit home improvement stores and donation centers that sell new and gently used furniture, appliances, home accessories, building materials and more to the public at a fraction of the retail price.

Newington: Southeast NH Habitat for Humanity Address: 29 Fox Run Road, Newington, NH 03805 Phone: (603) 750-3200 Website: www.senhhabitat.org/restore Email: info@senhhabitat.org

Goodwill Retail Stores (Northern New England)

Website: www.goodwillnne.org

“Our stores offer a full range of apparel, accessories, footwear, children's merchandise, and home decor. You never know what you'll find at one of our stores, as the merchandise changes daily.”

Portsmouth Goodwill Store Address: 720 Lafayette Road, Portsmouth, NH 03801 Phone: (603) 430-2040

Somersworth Goodwill Store Address: 450 High Street, Somersworth, NH 03878 Phone 603-343-5560

Operation Blessing

Address: 600 A Lafayette Road, Portsmouth, NH 03801 Phone: (603) 430-8561
Website: www.theobnh.org and Email: donate@theobnh.org

Primary needs, such as food, clothing, furniture and household goods, are available free of charge at the Center, where caring volunteers are available to assist them with their needs.

Wonderland Thrift Shop

Address: 28 Portsmouth Avenue, Stratham, NH 03885 Phone: (603) 686 5313 Website: www.wonderlandthrift.org and Email: info@wonderlandthrift.org

Wonderland Thrift donates profits to local non profit agencies, and local people, local families, via financial assistance, bill payments, fuel/heat/grocery cards as well as having an innovative free clothing program.

Buy Nothing Groups 

Look on your local Facebook buy nothing group which prioritizes finding and/or giving away goods prior to purchasing something new. The goal is to utilize community support and reduce a reliance on spending. These often will require signing up for a group within your local area and you will need to be cautious of scams and prioritize your safety.