Impact Your Community…For Course Credit!
Become a SHARPP Peer Advocate.
Are you interested in becoming a SHARPP Peer Advocate? SHARPP offers course credit for Peer Advocate training.
Justice Studies 410, SHARPP Peer Advocacy
Morrill Hall 103
Permission is required. Interested students should complete an application through the link below, after which they will be expected to schedule an interview with the Direct Services Coordinator, Julia Kelley-Vail.
This course will provide education and awareness around the issues of interpersonal violence (IPV), sexual harassment, and stalking, and will prepare students to be a Peer Advocate for SHARPP. Students will develop the skills needed to support survivors and their allies, by providing resources and advocacy, including university systems, medical, legal advocacy, and Title IX issues. This course allows for privileged communication by NH law and requires a 1-year commitment to SHARPP Peer Advocacy. All majors accepted.
Four credits: letter grade. Class size not to exceed 20 students.
Title of Job:
SHARPP Peer Advocate
The mission of a SHARPP peer advocate is to provide advocacy and crisis intervention for survivors of recent, past or attempted sexual assault, child sexual assault, incest, intimate partner violence, stalking, sexual harassment and their allies. Additionally, advocates will work to prevent and eliminate sexual/intimate partner violence in the UNH community.
- To be on-call a minimum of 3 shifts/semester
- To offer crisis intervention to survivors and allies
- To arrange appropriate referrals/transferrals
- To provide adequate follow-up to survivors and allies
- Attend/participate in special events/programs per semester
- Complete advocacy training (Justice Studies 410)
- Complete on-going/in-service training
- Make a minimum of a full academic year commitment after initial training
- Attend monthly volunteer staff meetings
- Provide coverage for SHARPP's 24/7 support line a minimum of three (3) times each semester
- Must be a registered UNH student, faculty or staff member
- Must be committed to SHARPP mission & philosophy
SHARPP is located on the UNH campus at 2 Pettee Brook Lane in Wolff House.
Advocates are directly responsible to the SHARPP Direct Services Coordinator.
- Valuable work experience
- Job recommendations
- Extensive skill development
- Valuable contacts with the community and campus