Impact Your Community…For Course Credit!
Become a SHARPP Peer Advocate.
Are you interested in becoming a SHARPP Peer Advocate? SHARPP offers course credit for Peer Advocate training.
Justice Studies 410, SHARPP Peer Advocacy
Morrill Hall 103
Permission is required. Each student needs to make an appointment for an informal interview with our Direct Services Coordinator, Julia Kelley-Vail.
This course will provide education and awareness around the issues of intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, and stalking, and will prepare students to be a Peer Advocate for SHARPP. Students will develop the skills needed to support survivors and their allies, by providing resources and advocacy, including university systems, medical, legal advocacy, and Title IX issues. This course allows for privileged communication by NH law and requires a 1-year commitment to SHARPP Peer Advocacy. All majors accepted.
Two credits: letter grade. Class size not to exceed 20 students.
Title of Job:
SHARPP Peer Advocate
The mission of a SHARPP peer advocate is to provide advocacy and crisis intervention for survivors of recent, past or attempted sexual assault, child sexual assault, incest, intimate partner violence, stalking, sexual harassment and their allies. Additionally, advocates will work to prevent and eliminate sexual/intimate partner violence in the UNH community.
- To be on-call a minimum of 4 shifts/semester
- To offer crisis intervention to survivors and allies
- To arrange appropriate referrals/transferrals
- To provide adequate follow-up to survivors and allies
- Attend/participate in special events/programs per semester
- Complete advocacy training (Justice Studies 410)
- Complete on-going/in-service training
- Make a minimum of a full academic year commitment
- Attend volunteer staff meetings
- Must be a registered UNH student, faculty or staff member
- Must be committed to SHARPP mission & philosophy
SHARPP is located on the UNH campus at 2 Pettee Brook Lane in Wolff House.
Advocates are directly responsible to the SHARPP Direct Services Coordinator.
- Valuable work experience
- Job recommendations
- Provides extensive skill development
- Valuable contacts with the community and campus