Sophomore and junior students in good academic standing who wish to engage in undergraduate research are encouraged to apply. Carefully review the eligibility requirements below. McNair Scholars Applicants must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have achieved the following academic standing at the time of application*:
- Sophomore (must have achieved junior status by the start of the summer component) or
- Junior (must not be graduating for at least one more academic year)
- First-semester senior (who already has verifiable, academic research experience)
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Have a strong interest in doctoral study and a willingness to consider a career in academia as a scholar or researcher**.
- Be a first-generation student (meaning neither parent has received a four-year, bachelor’s degree) who is economically disadvantaged (as determined by the US Department of Education criteria), or be a student from a group that is underrepresented in graduate programs (African American, Hispanic, Pacific Islander or Native American).
*Are you a freshman and have an interest in pursuing the McNair Scholars Program in the future? Learn about the Pre-McNair Scholars Program by viewing the “Pre-McNair” section.
**Please note that individuals whose sole interest is obtaining a professional doctorate such as the Doctorate of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Juris Doctorate (JD), or Medical Doctorate (MD) are not eligible for the program, unless interested in the possibility of a dual degree (JD/PhD, MD/PhD, etc.). Individuals with such interests are encouraged to apply.