Some alumni and friends have closely held stock/securities they would like to give to UNH. These include debt and equity positions in non-publicly traded companies as well as interests in limited partnerships and limited liability companies. If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to make a gift to UNH and support our future.*
Please note: Acceptance of closely held securities must comply with UNH's Gift Acceptance Policies and is dependent on a review from UNH Foundation's Gift Acceptance Committee with the following factors to be considered:
- Any restrictions on the security that would prevent its conversion to cash
- Marketability of the security
- Potential for other undesirable consequences for the UNH Foundation
*A gift of closely held stock requires special handling, so you should always consult with your legal or tax advisor first.
Review this checklist to see if you may benefit from donating closely held stock. Then, consult your professional legal and tax advisors to see how to maximize the benefits of this tax-efficient strategy for making a difference.
- You are a majority shareholder in a closely held corporation.
- You would like to remove retained earnings from the corporation, without having them taxed again.
- You would like to maintain a controlling position in the corporation’s outstanding stock.
- You would like to avoid capital gains taxes on the shares you donate to UNH.
- You would like to receive a federal income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the gift.
- You would like to support our mission.
Closely held stock is most often used to support UNH in the form of:
- An outright gift. You can make a gift of closely held stock as long as the business permits additional owners and it is debt-free. The donation of closely held stock first requires you to value the interest in the business entity.
- A gift in your will or living trust. If you are not ready to make a gift of these assets during your lifetime, consider making a gift of all or a portion of your closely held stock through a gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable lead trust. In certain situations, you can create a charitable lead trust that allows you to pass your closely held stock to your heirs after supporting UNH. The trust makes regular payments to UNH for a period measured by a fixed term of years or the lives of one or more individuals. After the term ends, the remaining assets, including any appreciation, pass to your heirs. A properly designed lead trust will produce an estate or gift tax deduction for the value of that portion of the trust designated for UNH.
- A charitable gift annuity. Funding a charitable gift annuity with closely held stock not only provides you with fixed payments for life and allows you to support UNH, but it can offer numerous financial benefits. You may receive a federal income tax deduction and, if you use appreciated stock, you can eliminate capital gains tax on a portion of the gift and spread the rest of the gain over your life expectancy. It is possible to contribute stock in either a C or S corporation in exchange for a charitable gift annuity. The contributed shares must be valued by a qualified independent appraiser. The appraisal is required in order to substantiate your federal income tax deduction.
- A charitable remainder trust. You may be able to use all or a portion of your closely held stock to fund a charitable remainder trust. If you do, you receive a federal income tax deduction on the appraised value of your gift and you pay no capital gains taxes at the time of the gift. The trust pays you or other named individuals payments every year for life or a term of years. When the trust term ends, the remaining principal goes to UNH as a lump sum. Although a charitable remainder trust with a flip triggering event works well with most business interests, this type of trust cannot be the owner of S Corporation stock.
Please use the legal information below and share with your trusted advisors.
Legal Name: The University of New Hampshire Foundation, Inc.
Address: 9 Edgewood Road, Durham NH 03824
Tax ID: 02‐0437506
- Contact UNH's Office of Gift Planning so we can help you direct your gift of closely held stock to the UNH cause that means the most to you.
- Discuss the giving options with your personal advisors to be sure the gift vehicle you choose is the right fit for you.
- For detailed information on making a gift of closely held stock, please visit our GIVING STOCK page or contact our office.
- Please let us know if you have made this gift to UNH in your estate plans, and we would be happy to recognize you in our Thompson Society, a special community of forward-thinking UNH alumni and friends who have created their legacy here. It is important to complete simple documentation with UNH to ensure we honor your wishes down the line.
Please feel free to share the sample bequest language below with your attorney:
Sample Language “I give to the University of New Hampshire Foundation, Inc., at 9 Edgewood Road, Durham NH 03824, a New Hampshire nonprofit corporation, or its successor, Federal Tax Identification Number 02‐0437506, [insert here a description of the particular property]."
We're here to help you!
Please contact the UNH Office of Gift Planning with your questions.
Phone: (603) 862-3694
Welcome to the Thompson Society!
During the Celebrate 150 Campaign (2012-2018), more than 200 families made planned gifts to UNH, ranging from $10,000 to millions of dollars, which have already started to have an impact on future generations. But the story of legacy goes back to the origins of UNH when Benjamin Thompson left his farm and other assets to establish what would ultimately become the Durham campus of the University of New Hampshire.
The Thompson legacy has impacted hundreds of thousands of lives, and yours can, too.
As a legacy donor, you'll become a member of the Thompson Society, a distinguished group of supporters who have documented planned gifts to UNH. The UNH Office of Gift Planning will work with you to explore options that best meet your philanthropic goals and timeline--whether you wish to make an immediate impact, generate income with your gift, or make gifts through your will.
We look forward to welcoming you to this prestigious membership of generous donors providing support to generations of Wildcats to come, and we are honored to work with you to create your UNH legacy.