Provide for your loved ones and UNH
To benefit from the tax savings that result from supporting UNH without giving up any assets that you'd like your family to receive someday, you can establish a charitable lead trust (CLT) to benefit UNH.
Types of CLTs to consider:
- A charitable lead annuity trust pays a fixed amount each year to UNH and is more attractive when interest rates are low.
- A charitable lead unitrust pays a variable amount each year based on the value of the assets in the trust. With a unitrust, if the trust's assets go up in value, for example, the payments to UNH go up as well.
UNH receives payments for as long as you choose, and remaining assets are given to your heirs at the end of the trust term. Any appreciation to the assets that occurs will be distributed to your heirs with reduced or no estate or gift tax liability.
- Contact UNH's Office of Gift Planning for additional information on charitable lead trusts so we can help you direct your gift to the UNH cause that means the most to you.
- Discuss the giving options with your personal advisors to be sure the gift vehicle you choose is the right fit for you.
- Please let us know if you have made this gift to UNH in your estate plans, and we would be happy to recognize you in our Thompson Society, a special community of forward-thinking UNH alumni and friends who have created their legacy here. It is important to complete simple documentation with UNH to ensure we honor your wishes down the line.
Please feel free to share the sample bequest language below with your attorney:
Sample Language“I give to the University of New Hampshire Foundation, Inc., at 9 Edgewood Road, Durham NH 03824, a New Hampshire nonprofit corporation, or its successor, Federal Tax Identification Number 02‐0437506, [insert here a description of the particular property]."
Please use the legal information below and share with your trusted advisors.
Legal Name: The University of New Hampshire Foundation, Inc.
Address: 9 Edgewood Road, Durham NH 03824
Tax ID: 02‐0437506
We're here to help you!
Please contact the UNH Office of Gift Planning with your questions.
Phone: (603) 862-3694
Welcome to the Thompson Society!
During the Celebrate 150 Campaign (2012-2018), more than 200 families made planned gifts to UNH, ranging from $10,000 to millions of dollars, which have already started to have an impact on future generations. But the story of legacy goes back to the origins of UNH when Benjamin Thompson left his farm and other assets to establish what would ultimately become the Durham campus of the University of New Hampshire.
The Thompson legacy has impacted hundreds of thousands of lives, and yours can, too.
As a legacy donor, you'll become a member of the Thompson Society, a distinguished group of supporters who have documented planned gifts to UNH. The UNH Office of Gift Planning will work with you to explore options that best meet your philanthropic goals and timeline--whether you wish to make an immediate impact, generate income with your gift, or make gifts through your will.
We look forward to welcoming you to this prestigious membership of generous donors providing support to generations of Wildcats to come, and we are honored to work with you to create your UNH legacy.