Resources & Information

Female student studying


Info & Resources


The Point Foundation, The National LGBT Scholarship, Financial Aid for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Students Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice

The UNH Alumni Association accepts applications for merit-based scholarships from students whose parent, grandparent or great-grandparent attended UNH. Scholarships recognize leadership skills, outstanding academic records and broad extracurricular interests. Scholarships open in February.

Scholarships are based on financial need, evidenced by the student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submission and EFC score as well student’s employment financial contributions and/or a commitment to community service. GPA requirement is 2.8. Student applicants must have filed a FAFSA form by March 1. Typical awards are about $3,000 per student.

The New Hampshire Charitable Foundation provides grants, interest-free and low-interest loans for New Hampshire residents pursuing undergraduate or graduate study at approved institutions of postsecondary education. Contact them for information and applications at: 37 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301 ~ (603) 225-6641 or (800) 464-6641 E-mail:

Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities: scholarships and fellowships for students with disabilities.

The Lord Scholarship is a need-based scholarship fund for residents of Carroll County.  Lord Scholarship Applications must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office by March 1.

Americorps Program

AmeriCorps members who complete their service are eligible for an education award of $4,725 (based on full-time service)

ROTC Scholarships
The Army and Air Force offer scholarships to qualified students enrolled in a baccalaureate program. Visit Army ROTC or Air Force ROTC for more information.

The NH Higher Education Assistance Foundation (NHHEAF) provides individual guidance throughout the financial aid process, outreach to New Hampshire high schools, businesses and community organizations, career exploration information, and access to more than 2,500 national public and private scholarship sources.

The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid offers free comprehensive student financial aid information on the web.

As members of the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) the staff of the Financial Aid Office adhere to their Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct guidelines.

A cohort default rate is the percentage of a school's borrowers who enter repayment on certain Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program or William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program loans during a particular federal fiscal year (FY), October 1 to September 30, and default or meet other specified conditions prior to the end of the second following fiscal year.  The U.S. Department of Education releases official cohort default rates once per year.  The University of New Hampshire’s most recent cohort default rate is 2.2%; for comparison, the most recent national cohort default rate is 10.1%.  Approximately 65% of University students borrow federal student loans.



Repaying Student Loans


Federal:  Federal student loans are real loans and must be repaid. Know what you owe by logging onto the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at with your FSA ID.

The longer you take to repay your student loans, the more you will pay over the life of the loan.  Once your loans are paid off, more of your earnings can go to discretionary expenses such as a car, vacation, home ownership, investments etc.

Get all the information you need to manage repayment of your federal student loans at

Private:  If you took out private student loans, you will need to contact your lender directly to determine what you owe and your repayment options.

Go to one of these loan calculators to find out what your monthly payment will be and discover how much interest you will pay over the life of the loan.  Try lowering your repayment period and see that your monthly payment will go up but the amount of interest will go down.

If you have taken out several loans, you may be able to consolidate them into one loan and make only one monthly payment. However, depending on which repayment plan you choose, this may increase your total amount paid to the loan. Please note that you may lose borrower benefits by consolidating your loans. You should contact the servicer of your loans to weigh the pros and cons of consolidation.  You cannot consolidate your Federal and Private loans together.

Federal: Consolidation for eligible Federal loans is available only through the Federal Government

Private: Consolidation for eligible private loans is available through

Remember that making your student loan payment on time each month will help you build your credit and not being responsible for your repayment will hurt your credit and thus your future opportunities. If you are having trouble making your monthly loan payments you will need to contact your lender for assistance.

You may be able to take a tax deduction for the interest paid on student loans that you took out for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent. This benefit applies to all loans (not just federal student loans) used to pay for higher education expenses and is available even if you do not itemize deductions. The maximum deduction is $2,500 a year.

There are income limits on the deduction along with other restrictions.  Please consult the IRS or a qualified tax advisor for complete information.

The federal government mandates consumers be eligible for one free credit report a year from each of these credit bureaus: Experian, TransUnion and Equifax (EFX). Free reports are only at . Other sites that offer free reports charge for other services.


Summer Class Information


The UNH Financial Aid Office awards summer work-study, Pell Grant and Direct Loan funds. Parents and graduate students also can apply for a federally insured PLUS loan. Students can apply for private alternative loans.

Non-degree students are not eligible for federal aid from UNH (Pell Grant, Direct Loan or work-study). You can, however, apply for an alternative loan.  The Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan is for less than half-time and non-degree students. Apply online with the lender and submit the Request for Summer Aid (found in WEBCAT in mid-March; click the financial aid tab, complete and submit).

Yes. You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. Additionally, you need to fill out a Request for Summer Aid; this form can be found in WEBCAT once summer course registration is available, click on Financial Aid tab, complete and submit.

You must be a degree candidate to be considered for a Pell Grant, Direct Loan or work-study and enrolled at least half-time to receive a Direct Loan or a PLUS loan (six credits for undergraduates, five credits for graduate students). An alternative loan may be available for those who will be enrolled less than half-time.

You do not need to be enrolled in coursework to be considered for the summer work-study program. However, you do need to be enrolled at least half-time during the coming fall semester.

  1. Fill out the Request for Summer Aid once summer course registration is available.  If you are going to be at least half-time you can borrow from your Direct Loan eligibility (generally one-third of your yearly maximum) but it will reduce what is available for the fall and spring semesters. If you are not going to be attending half-time or you need more than your Direct Loan allows, you can borrow from an alternative loan. You will still need to complete the Request for Summer Aid application.
  2. Check your WEBCAT account for any outstanding requirements needed to process your financial aid (summer is considered part of the next academic year). Check Aid Status
  3. Once you receive an email from us regarding your summer loan/grant eligibility, you may register online, using your award towards the cost of your classes. If your summer bill is more than your summer loan/summer Pell Grant, you are responsible for the difference at the time of registration.


Tips & Advice


  • UNH financial aid deadline is March 1. That means your application has to be received by the federal processor.
  • You must re-apply for financial aid every year.
  • Apply for federal aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can apply beginning Oct. 1 at .
  • Students and parents both need a FSA ID to sign the FAFSA application electronically.
  • Applications must be complete and accurate to evaluate your financial information. Incomplete applications will delay the aid process.
  • If you are planning to visit campus, make an appointment to speak with a financial aid counselor as well as an admissions officer.
  • Keep records of all materials submitted to the college or the federal processor.
  • The FAFSA will require income data from the prior, prior year (ex. 2018-2019 FAFSA will look at 2016 income); use the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to import your tax information.
  • Respond to all inquiries and requests for documentation as quickly as possible. Failure to do so may result in a delay in receiving your financial aid package.
  • Never assume: Read all information sent to you thoroughly. If you have questions, call the appropriate college office.
  • Understand the terms and conditions of all assistance offered. Make sure the offer is a solid commitment and not just an estimate or preliminary assessment of eligibility.
  • If you have been dealing with an intermediary, such as a coach, department head, or other college official that is offering financial assistance, check with the financial aid office to be certain the individual has the authority to make the offer.
  • Call before you visit to be sure the person you are interested in speaking to is available that day.
  • Inform the Financial Aid or Business Office of any outside scholarships, grants or other assistance you will be receiving.
  • When in doubt, ask.