3-star green-certified restaurants on campus
Main campus is powered by renewable energy
Res halls rated EPA Energy Star (1st US university to do so!)
What is Sustainability Advocates?
Sustainability Advocates is a residence hall peer-to-peer education and engagement program that aims to encourage sustainable thought and action across campus. The program is managed by the Engagement and Outreach Intern at the Sustainability Institute and implemented by the Sustainability Advocates within the residence halls.
Members work together toward goals at both the campus level and at an advocate level.
We view sustainability as a collective commitment to human dignity for all people and ecological integrity in all places. It is built upon an inter-generational, ethical obligation that holds social justice, collaboration, and inclusive prosperity to be essential to fulfill diverse human potential and preserve the health of the planet upon which we all depend.
The primary campus level goals are to:
- Educate students about topics in sustainability at the individual, campus, and community level,
- Encourage students about ways to implement sustainable practices within their lives and their communities, and
- Connect students to resources and opportunities to gain volunteer and/or professional experience in sustainability.
To achieve these goals, the Sustainability Advocates work with their hall councils to develop and host sustainability focused events within or between their residence halls. These events merge creativity, education, and engagement, showing hall residents that sustainability is important, personal, and fun. Common events include campus clean-ups, movie nights, recycling sort competitions, etc.
At an advocate level, the primary goals are to:
- Lead by example as a peer educator and sustainability initiator,
- Gain leadership, communication, and planning skills,
- Connect with like-minded individuals through dialogue and teamwork, and
- Learn from and connect with sustainability professionals.
To achieve these goals, the Engagement and Outreach Intern hosts weekly meetings to educate the Sustainability Advocates about sustainability on- and off-campus, guides discussions with the Sustainability Advocates about current events in the sustainability field, and helps the Sustainability Advocates plan residence hall events. The Engagement and Outreach Intern also invites guest speakers to meetings and arranges field trips to allow the Sustainability Advocates to learn from and connect with sustainability professionals.