We're excited to host your exchange at the University of New Hampshire. The following information applies to incoming students for our Study Away USA programs: National Student Exchange, NH College & University Council Student Exchange, and our bilateral agreement with UC Santa Cruz.
Thanks for considering UNH as your exchange destination! Your acceptance to UNH through one of these programs is hinged your academic course requests. The #1 reason why an applicant may not be accepted at UNH is because they need courses we cannot access. Please read all the requirements and restrictions in the links below. The more flexible you can be in the courses you select, the more smoothly your registration process will be.
Please review the information and links below carefully before applying to or accepting a placement at UNH. Thank you!
click here for detailed Instructions for Exchange StudentsACCEPTED to UNH for spring 2020 Exchange
Benefits of Exchanging to UNH
- We are a medium-sized "R1" PhD-granting institution
- On-campus housing is guaranteed if you meet all application and payment deadlines, and is strongly encouraged
- Incoming NSE Students receive priority course registration for the majority of classes
- UNH is a land, sea, and space-grant institution
- Quiet, rural setting in small-town New England, voted safest campus in the US in 2017 & the top five of the Sierra Club's Coolest College in the US in 2018 & 2019
- Access to public transportation--free local & regional bus systems, and access to the Amtrak Downeaster Train to Boston MA or Portland ME
- One hour drive to Boston, White Mountains, and 30 minutes to Maine & NH beaches
UNH Exchange Requirements & Restrictions
- UNH participates in NSE HOME TUITION PLAN (formerly Plan B) only
- UNH is a Canadian Partner of NSE
- You must have an overall GPA of 2.5 at your home institution at the time of application and exchange, no exceptions
- You MUST have a declared major at your home school. Sorry, we cannot accept undeclared/general studies students
- You MUST have an approved, qualifying health insurance plan, or purchase the UNH Student Health Insurance Plan. All non-US citizens must purchase the UNH Student Health Insurance Plan
- Download this complete list of course restrictions. This list is NOT negotiable, and is subject to change.
- Studio Art and Nursing are all CLOSED; EDUC 500 is also CLOSED
- Individual Music lessons are CLOSED; some Music courses may require audition
- Internships for credit, and independent studies are also CLOSED to exchangers
- Business & related majors courses are limited. HOME campus must be AACSB accredited
- UNH can accept as many incoming students as we have outgoing for a particular academic year. We rarely reject an NSE applicant unless they are requesting courses that are limited or closed.
Other Useful UNH & Local Links
- unh.edu Our main homepage, a good place to start. Surf and search around from there.
- Health & Wellness: Visit this page to fill out required immunization and health insurance forms prior to enrollment!
- Once you are enrolled, go to MyUNH to monitor your schedule and any housing or other fees on your account once you've been notified that your account is active.
- UNH Undergraduate Catalog: Listing of all possible courses along with their descriptions and prerequisites...not all are offered every semester!!
- Departments of Residential Life and Housing: Information on on-campus housing options, room assignments in our halls and on-campus apartments, and the folks who manage the halls, staffs, and events. The UNH NSE Coordinator STRONGLY suggests you live in our on-campus housing. Our halls have a lot of benefits and activities, excellent staffing & security. Plus, you can get by very easily without a car.
- Transportation & Parking: If you are considering bringing a vehicle to UNH, you should know that parking is tight. We cannot guarantee that you will receive a parking permit! Please follow their instructions, and apply early! Remember that we have a great on-campus and regional public transportation system, much of which is free to UNH students.
- Directions for getting here!