YIP in 2021-2022
As education models continue to change for the 2021-22 school year, we have re-adapted our well-established Young Inventors’ Program to meet the needs of our program leaders and teachers. The 2021-22 Curriculum includes tools and recommendations to support educators who will teach in-person or virtually. The core elements of our curriculum, including lesson plans, slide decks, and worksheets are streamlined into the outlines below. Of course, you are encourages to adjust these materials to your students’ needs but if you are pressed for time or need to some inspiration, we have everything here for you.
Are You a Student?
Before You Start: Register
Please let us know that you are using the Young Inventors’ Program:
Why register? By registering your school/organization we will be able to provide more support and all the materials you need to run YIP. You will receive regular program updates, access to live webinars, and individual support from our team. This helps us report to our donors and sponsors who make it possible to offer YIP to you at no cost.
8 lessons are organized into a framework centered on using the steps of the invention process to be led by the educator in-person or virtually for synchronous or asynchronous learning. The culmination of the invention project takes the form of a presentation at a showcase or invention fair event (in-person or virtually). Resources include:
- Lesson Plans with recommendations for virtual learning
- Hands-on and off-screen activities to engage students and apply content in real world contexts
- Power Point Slides to complement lessons
- Lesson Scripts to guide teacher directed video presentations
- Student Worksheets to support lessons
- Videos that you may use for inspiration or assign to your students to watch
- YIP Inventors’ Journal- NEW formats available! Printed copies will be provided in YIP Packs, but also available as a Word doc download or PDF file.
- YIP Lesson 1: Understanding Design Lesson Plan
- Lesson 1: Understanding Design Slides
- Lesson 1: Presentation Script for Teachers
- Lesson 1 Worksheets
- Lesson 1 Rubrics
- Lesson 3: Brainstorming Lesson Plan
- Lesson 3: Brainstorming Slides
- YIP Lesson 3: Presentation Script for Teachers
- Lesson 3 Worksheets
- Lesson 3 Rubrics
- Lesson 8: Presenting Your Invention Lesson Plan
- Lesson 8: Presenting Your Invention Slides
- Lesson 8: Presentation Script for Teachers
- YIP Lesson 8: Font Sample Slides
- Lesson 8: Presenting Your Invention: Lesson Slides
- Lesson 8: Presenting Your Invention: Font Samples: Lesson Slides
- Lesson 8 Worksheets
Here are more teaching tools and resources to assist educators as you lead your YIP programs.
Assessment and Evaluation Rubrics
- YIP Inventor’s Journal Rubric
- YIP Invention Prototype Rubric
- YIP Display Board Rubric
- YIP Invention Presentation Rubric
For schools/programs who register (it’s free!)
- Resources on how to organize an invention fair
- Professional development & best practice sharing webinars
- Best practices for display boards and student presentations