Listed below are some quick and easy rules to keep in mind when hiring youths.
important: No one under the age of 14 may be hired under ANY circumstances.
A UNH department which hires youth employees should follow the UNH policy and procedures for working with youth in the workplace; specifically conducting background checks and completing the UNH online Protection of Minors training for those adults who will be working with minors. For any questions, contact your HR Partner.
PROCESS for hiring youth at UNH:
- Hiring supervisor completes the “Youth Employment Request Form”. UNH Human Resources approval is required before a department hires youth under the age of 16.
- Youths 14 and 15 years old must provide "State of New Hampshire Employer's Request for Child Labor" form signed by the employer and taken to school department.
- Youths 16 and 17 years old must provide the "State of New Hampshire Proof of Permission for the Employment of a Youth age 16 or 17" form permitting employment. Exception: A youth age 16 or 17 who has graduated from high school or obtained a general equivalency diploma (GED) does not need permission from a parent or legal guardian.
- Youths 14-17 years old who are working or volunteering in a UNH Youth Program must provide two letters of reference. See reference form for further instructions.
- For youth who may be exposed to a high hazard area, the "Children in High Hazard Areas" form is to be completed. A completed, signed copy is to be submitted to: UNH Human Resources, and UNH Office of Environmental Health and Safety.