Applying for a U.S. Visa in Canada or Mexico

Has your F-1 visa expired? If you are thinking about renewing your visa in either Canada or Mexico, then you must plan very carefully. Note that certain individuals are not eligible to apply for visas as Third Country Nationals. You must read the U.S. Government’s travel website carefully to see if you qualify.

Some considerations to think about if you plan to apply to renew your F-1 visa in either Canada or Mexico:

  • You may need to obtain a Visitor Visa prior to traveling to Canada or Mexico.
  • Depending on your field of study, you may be subject to a long period of Administrative Review (background check) and you may have to stay for 1 month or more in one of these countries.
  • If you are refused a new F-1 visa, you will be required to return to your home country directly to try to apply for the F-1 visa again. You must be prepared for this possibility.

We recommend that you make an appointment with an OISS Advisor to discuss your travel plans in detail. We can help you evaluate your options before you make your decision.