Title IX prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities, which includes prohibiting discrimination against pregnant and parenting students. Pregnant and parenting students may request adjustments based on pregnancy needs and accommodations based on pregnancy-related medical complications. More information can be found on the U.S. Department of Education website.
Examples of adjustments students may request include:
- flexibility to take breaks during class, as needed
- standing in class rather than sitting
- a larger desk or workspace
- flexible attendance, including tardiness or absences due to pregnancy or related conditions
- rescheduling tests or examinations
- additional time to submit work after deadline due to pregnancy or childbirth
- alternative pathways to make up missed work
- excused absences for parenting students who need to take care of sick children
Please contact the Civil Rights & Equity Office for additional information or assistance in facilitating requests for pregnancy and parenting adjustments and accommodations or submit a request using the Pregnancy Accommodation Request Form
Information about the rights of pregnancy employees and pregnancy discrimination can be found on the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) website. If you are a UNH employee and pregnant, feel free to contact the Civil Rights & Equity Office for information about supports available during your pregnancy.
You can also submit a request using the Pregnancy Accommodation Request Form