Eligibility & Fees
Health Services provides quality medical care and wellness education/counseling to all UNH students, employees and dependents (over the age of 18). While services are student-focused, dependents of UNH students (who have paid the health fee) are eligible to be seen on a fee-for-service basis, depending upon the availability of appropriate health care providers. Students and staff must bring a UNH ID to their appointment.
Students can access Health Services regardless of their insurance provider. When combined with health insurance, the Health Fee ensures a comprehensive care package at UNH.
The Health Fee
The Health Fee is paid by all UNH degree students who take five or more credit hours/semester or non-degree students who take thirteen or more credit hours/semester. This fee ensures that students have access to wellness education, counseling and medical care without a copay, amongst other benefits. Health insurance is not billed for services covered by the Health Fee.
Health Fees Cover:
- Medical appointments with Health Services clinicians (Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses)
- Individual wellness education/counseling appointments with Health Services wellness educators/counselors
- Health education presentations, trainings, workshops and classes
- 24/7 access to healthcare
- Reduced cost for many acute prescription medications ($5.00 generics)
- Basic lab tests ordered by a Health Services clinician
Health Fees Do Not Cover:
- Services or lab tests ordered by outside health care providers
- Specialty lab tests
- Allergy injections
- Birth control
- Over-the-counter medications
- HIV testing and counseling
- Massage therapy
- Ambulance fee or referral to outside provider
- Orthopedic equipment (i.e., crutches, air casts, splints, etc.)
- Summer services
Services that are not covered by the fee are the student’s responsibility, but may be billed to your insurance company.
Bill Your Health Insurance
If you would like our office to bill your health insurance company for your charges, you will need to provide us with your insurance information immediately following your visit. To ensure we have the correct insurance information, bring your insurance card with you when you come to Health Services. We will need the name and address of your insurance company, the subscriber's name and address, the policy number and group number.
Once you provide us with your insurance information, we will assume that you want us to bill your insurance for future charges not covered by the health fee. If there is a particular charge you don't want billed to your insurance, you will need to notify the Business Office (Room 104) immediately following your visit.
We participate with the following Health Insurance Plans:
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO
- Federal Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Indemnity
- Harvard Pilgrim
We can bill any insurance company. It is your responsibility to know your insurance benefits. If your insurance company does not pay, you are responsible for all charges.
About Guests & Visitors
You are only eligible to be seen for acute problems that arise during your stay. Payment is required at the time of service. As a courtesy, we can bill your insurance and refund your money after we receive payment.
You are only eligible for services provided by our Travel Clinic, such as immunizations. Payment is required at the time of service. As a courtesy, we can bill your insurance and refund your money after we receive payment.