Chair: Shelley Mulligan
The Academic Affairs Committee will concern itself with the University’s instructional programs and academic support, including computer and informational services and university advising.
The chair of this committee should attend meetings as an observer to the Institutional Programs and Services Committee of the Board of Trustees and also to the Systems Academic Planning Committee.
Reports and motions need to be forwarded electronically to the Agenda Committee for review and placement on the agenda, which will be sent to Senators on the Thursday or Friday before the Senate meeting. Every effort will be made to include reports and motions as electronic back-ups for each Faculty Senate meeting so that Senators have access to the material ahead of time and can be prepared to deliberate on the materials. The Committee’s assistance with preparing and submitting the documents to assist the Senate is greatly appreciated.
Corresponding Administrators: Provost; Dean’s/Provost Council
Academic Affairs Committee
Charges for Academic Year 2017-2018
A. Ongoing charges
1. Continue monitoring J-Term and UNH Online. See item IX from senate minutes of April 14, 2013.
2. Review rolling five-year calendar
B. New charges
1. Consider the addition of a social identity attribute to Discovery core curriculum. Review Discovery committee report submitted to Senate May 2017, as well as the ad hoc Discovery Review Committee report.
2. Monitor enrollment strategies at the university and college level, including admitted student profiles, working with Victoria Dutcher.
3. Examine review of Navitas and offer feedback as warranted, in conjunction with Student Affairs committee, especially with respect to academic rigor, and the goal of increasing internationality/ diversity at UNH.
4. Review student learning outcomes for Discovery and UNH at the institution and department levels.
5. Review proposed changes to the UNH Honors program.
6. Amend policies associated with establishment of the rolling 5-year academic calendar; ie. snow policy; review each year, working with registrar.
7. Assist Information Technology Committee with a review of the Student Success collaborative pilot software program (related to academic advising, student retention).
8. Confirm the eUNH schedule.
9. Connect with Victor Benassi about his analysis of online course evaluation data, comparing paper evaluation results with online evaluation results to see if an adjustment is needed in interpreting the scores from the new online evaluations.
The charges from the Agenda Committee shall comprise the major and first-order work of the Academic Affairs Committee. However, the Committee may pursue additional issues in pursuit of its mission, stated above. If the additional issue interferes with the timelines stated in the charges above, the Committee must receive permission from the Agenda Committee before proceeding. If the additional interest does not interfere with the established timelines, the Committee must inform the Agenda Committee.
Academic Affairs Committee Membership 2017-2018
- Shelley Mulligan, Occupational Therapy, CHHS, chair
- Carole Barnett, Management, PCBE
- Cristy Beemer, English, COLA
- Maryann Clark, Decision Sciences, PCBE
- Suzanne Graham, Education, COLA
- Vanessa Grunkemeyer, Agriculture, Nutrition, & Food Systems, COLSA
- Niva Gupta, Chemical Engineering, CEPS
- Christopher Kies, Music, COLA (proxy F17)
- Stanley Kowalski, School of Law
- Jo Laird, Earth Sciences, CEPS
- Subhash Minocha, Biological Sciences, COLSA
- Lucy Salyer, History, COLA
- Filip Thurston, TSAS, COLSA
- Peter Urquhart, Music, COLA (on leave F17)
- Katharine Winans, Chemistry, CEPS
- Jovana Milosavljevic-Ardeljan, GSS representative
- Carley Rotenberg, Student Senate representative