Financial Responsibilities

12 Financial Responsibilities

Please check the following url for changes made to this policy after the Stu­dent Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities went to press:

Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes (Residency Rules)

Basic Rule. All students enrolled in credit-bearing programs in any division of the University System of New Hampshire in any capacity shall be charged tuition at a rate to be determined by their domicile. Those domiciled within the State of New Hampshire shall pay the in-state rate. Those domiciled else­where shall pay the out-of-state rate.

Definitions. “Parent” means a person’s father and mother provided both are living. In the case of legally separated or divorced parents, “parent” means either a parent with legal custody or a parent providing more than one-half of a student’s total financial support; or if there is a guardian or legal cus­todian, “parent” means guardian or legal custodian provided there are no circumstances indicating that such guardianship or custodianship was cre­ated primarily for the purpose of conferring the status of an in-state student on such unemancipated person.

“Domicile” means a person’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation, to the exclusion of all others. It is the place where the person intends to remain and to which s/he expects to return when s/he leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.

Determination of Student Status.  A student shall be classified as in-state or out-of-state for tuition purposes at the time of his/her first admission to the University System unit. The decision shall be made by the dean or director of admissions of the appropriate division in the first instance based upon information furnished by the student’s application and other relevant information available to the dean or director.

Application Forms. Anyone applying for in-state status for tuition pur­poses at the same time he or she is applying for admission shall submit an application on forms to be prescribed by the dean or director of admissions which shall include a sworn statement certifying that the applicant is legally domiciled within the State of New Hampshire. The application shall also include such additional information as the dean or director may require in support of the affidavit of domicile. In the event the campus residency offi­cer possesses facts or information indicating that a student’s status should be changed from in-state to out-of state, whether or not the information was received from the student in compliance with notification requirements set forth in BOT IV.F.13, in his/her discretion, the campus residency officer may require resubmission of an application form from any in-state student prior to the commencement of each semester the student plans to attend the university system unit.

Burden of Proof. In all cases of application for in-state status for tuition purposes, the burden of proof shall be on the applicant. At the applicant’s request the dean or director of admissions shall state the reason or reasons for the decision in writing.

Determination of Domicile. No person shall be eligible for in-state status unless s/he is domiciled within New Hampshire. For University System purposes, a person does not acquire a domicile in New Hampshire until s/he has been a resident of the state for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding registration for the term for which in-state status is claimed and meets all other requirements for domicile.

No unemancipated person shall be eligible for in-state tuition status unless his/her parent(s), as defined in BOT IV.F.2.1, shall have established domicile in this state.

No person shall be eligible for in-state tuition status unless s/he establishes that his/her residence in New Hampshire is for some purpose other than the temporary or primary one of obtaining an education.

When a person has established eligibility for in-state tuition based on his/her parent’s domicile and the parent subsequently establishes domicile out­side of New Hampshire, the person shall be eligible for in-state tuition for one academic semester following the academic semester during which the parent established out-of-state domicile. It shall be the student’s responsibil­ity pursuant to BOT IV.F.13 to notify the campus residency officer of any changes affecting his or her eligibility for the in-state tuition rate.

All evidence relevant to determining domicile shall be considered. Evidence of the following shall, in any case, be relevant, but not necessarily conclusive:

  • Payment or non-payment of any tax levied by the State of New Hampshire or any political subdivision on persons resident or domiciled thereon;
  • Residence reported on any federal or state tax return;
  • Registration of one’s automobile;
  • State issuing one’s driver’s license;
  • Receipt of support from parents who are resident or domiciled outside the State of New Hampshire;
  • Voting residence;
  • Claim by any non-resident parent that the applicant is a dependent for tax or any other financial purpose;
  • Regular departure by an applicant from the State of New Hampshire dur­ing recesses or vacations from the University System unit;
  • The filing of any claim for benefits under any policy of insurance or any federal, state or local benefit legislation based on residence or domicile outside the State of New Hampshire; or
  • Status in some other state which would qualify a person for in-state tuition in that state.

Emancipation.   No person shall be deemed to be emancipated unless his/her parent, as defined in BOT IV.F.2.1 above, has entirely surrendered the right to the care, custody and earnings of such person and unless his/her parent is no longer under any legal obligation to support or maintain such person or, having supported and maintained such person even though under no legal obligation to do so, has ceased to support or maintain such person. Emancipation shall not be found unless all such tests are met.

  • Evidence of the following shall be submitted by an applicant and requested by the dean or director of admissions:;
  • Lack of financial support of the person by the parents;
  • Lack of contribution by the parents to any earnings or other income received by the person;
  • Failure of the parent to claim the person as a dependent on his/her income or other tax returns;
  • Establishment by the person of a domicile separate and apart from that of the parent; and
  • Failure of the person to return to the home of the parent during vacations and other recesses from school.

Presumptions. Unless the contrary appears to the satisfaction of the dean or director of admissions in individual cases, the following presumptions shall prevail:

  • The domicile of an unemancipated person shall be that of his/her parents or if the parents are separated or divorced, that of the parent who has cus­tody of him/her, or that of the parent providing more than one-half of the student’s total financial support.
  • The domicile of an unemancipated person who has no parents shall be that of his/her guardian or other legal custodian, unless it appears that such guardianship or custodianship was created for the purpose of estab­lishing an in-state status;
  • The domicile of any person who first enters the University System from the domicile of his/her parent, as defined in BOT IV.F.2.1 above is that of the parent until s/he abandons such domicile and, for purposes other than that of education, acquires a new domicile;
  • The domicile of any person who first enters the University System from a domicile other than New Hampshire is such a domicile until s/he aban­dons such domicile and, for purposes other than that of his/her education, acquires a new domicile; and
  • Attendance at a unit of the University System or at any other educational institution in this state in itself shall not be evidence of intention to estab­lish or establishment of a domicile in this state.

Waiver. Nothing contained in these rules shall preclude the dean or director of admissions or campus residency officer from waiving any requirements hereof under special circumstances in individual cases. Waivers shall not be routinely granted.

Military Personnel. A member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state under military orders shall be entitled to classification for himself/herself, spouse and dependent children as in-state for tuition purposes so long as the member remains on active duty in this state pursu­ant to such orders.

Review of Student Status. Any student who is aggrieved by the decision of the dean or director of admissions classifying him/her as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes may appeal to the campus residency officer on forms and in accordance with procedures which shall be made available to the student in the office of the dean or director of admissions. Any student aggrieved by the campus residency officer’s decision may appeal that deci­sion to the University System’s Residency Appeals Board (the “Board”).

The student may present to the Board such additional evidence as s/he may deem appropriate in processing his/her appeal and may appear before the Board and be heard. The decision of the Board shall be the final decision of the University System.

The University System Residency Appeals Board shall be comprised of three members who shall be designated by the presidents of each of the System’s three residential campuses. At the first meeting of each academic year, the Board members shall designate one member to serve as chair for the remainder of the academic year and until a successor has been designated for the following year. The chair may delegate authority to chair particular meetings of the Board to any member of the Board.

Change in Status. Any student who has, on his/her first admission to the University System, been classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes may apply to the campus residency officer for a change in status.

Students applying for a change in status shall file their applications with the campus residency officer prior to the first day of the semester for which the student is seeking the in-state tuition rate. Applications shall be con­sidered in the chronological order in which they are presented. No changes approved during a semester shall be effective until the beginning of the next following semester. However, where a change of status from out-of-state to in-state has been denied by the campus residency officer prior to the com­mencement of a semester, and that decision is reversed by the Residency Appeals Board during the semester, the student’s status shall be effective as of the commencement of the semester.

In the event the campus residency officer possesses any fact or information indicating that a student’s status should be changed from in-state to out-of-state, the student shall be informed in writing of the change of status. The student may appeal the decision of the campus residency officer as set forth in BOT IV.F.11.1. No such change made by the campus residency officer after the commencement of any semester shall be effective until the begin­ning of the next semester. Change to out-of-state status made by the campus residency officer prior to the commencement of any semester, but reversed during the semester by the Residency Appeals Board shall be effective as of the commencement of the semester.

Student Responsibility to Notify Institution of Changes in Status. It shall be the responsibility of students on all campuses to notify the campus resi­dency officer of any change in their eligibility for the in-state tuition rate as a result of:

  • Change in the domicile of their parents; or
  • Change in their own domicile

Failure to notify the campus residency officer of any changes affecting eli­gibility for the in-state tuition rate shall subject a student to disciplinary action under the provisions of the code of student conduct and/or to such actions that may be available under law, or both.

12.2 Mandatory Fees

The University of New Hampshire assesses mandatory fees to support expenses associated with the participation in an academic community. Man­datory fees are defined as fees which all students are assessed as a prerequi­site for registration unless specifically exempt. Mandatory fees are assessed because the services made available through such fees benefit the overall educational experience of the students, including academic, co-curricular, health-related, and recreational programs. It is recognized that not all stu­dents will use the benefits and privileges made available by fee-supported activities to an equal extent. The services and facilities supported by fees are available to all. The special circumstances of part-time and graduate students are reflected in the University’s fee structure.

Fee Structure. Full mandatory fees are assessed to undergraduate (regis­tered for 12 or more credits) and graduate students (registered for 9 or more credits), national student exchange students, doctoral research and master’s continuing research students. Undergraduate students registered for 5-11 credits and graduate students registered for 5-8 credits are assessed one-half of the cost. Students registered for 1-4 credits are assessed only the Tech­nology Fee. Students enrolled in Manchester campus programs pay Man­chester mandatory fees. Students enrolled as non-degree full-time special students (13 or more undergraduate credits or 9 or more graduate credits) pay full mandatory fees.

The mandatory fees include:

  • Memorial Union fee for the use and administration of the student union
  • Recreational fee for support of recreational facilities
  • Student activity fee for support of the undergraduate newspaper, year­book, student government, student lawyer, student radio station, and other student organizations
  • Athletic fee to provide support for athletic programs
  • Heath and counseling fee to provide general health care through Univer­sity Health Services
  • Technology fee to provide electronic tools to students both on and off campus
  • Transportation fee to provide students transportation services, includ­ing select infrastructure improvements, transit service, pedestrian and bicycle facilities, and ride services
  • SHARPP fee to support the University’s efforts to address issues of sexual and domestic violence.

Students who withdraw or drop to part-time status after classes begin are eligible for partial refund of fees. (100% will be refunded before the first day of classes; 75% during the first week of the semester; 50% after one week and within 30 days; and none thereafter).

Exceptions. Students enrolled as majors in the Graduate Center for Profes­sional Studies are assessed the Manchester Mandatory fees.

Students participating in a UNH Study Abroad Program or internship out­side the immediate geographic area (50-mile radius) for a semester may petition for a waiver of mandatory fees, with the exception of the technology fee.

Students taking online courses only and who reside outside the immedi­ate geographic area (50 mile radius) may petition for a waiver of manda­tory fees, with the exception of the technology fee.

All graduate students are exempt from the student activity fee, and athletic fee. Graduate students enrolled in weekend/exec­utive programs on the Durham campus are exempt from mandatory fees except the technology fee.

Graduate students enrolled in pre-designated evening-only programs, as approved by the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs or his/her designee, are exempt from the Health Services and Counseling fees.

Doctoral students who have achieved candidacy may petition for a waiver of the mandatory student fees. A waiver will be granted under the following circumstances:

  • The student must be advanced to candidacy and enrolled only in 999 prior to the beginning of classes.
  • The student cannot be on an assistantship or fellowship, unless such sup­port covers research that is being conducted out of the geographic area (50 miles).
  • The student has recently relocated and/or permanently resides out of the immediate geographic area (50 miles) prior to the beginning of classes. The 50- mile radius may be waived if the student is not receiving Uni­versity support, has met the one-year residency requirement, is working full-time and will only be on campus sporadically to meet with his or her advisor or if the student has completed all requirements for the degree prior to the end of the drop/add period (end of the third week).
  • The student is temporarily out of the region (50 miles) for at least one semester, conducting research related to his or her dissertation.
  • The student has a family emergency, illness or has provided the Dean of the Graduate School other information to warrant an exception (informa­tion will be provided with the petition as appropriate).

–  Students who meet the above conditions and are within the imme­diate geographic area must confirm in writing that they will not be using the campus services covered by mandatory fees.

–  Students must submit petitions each semester to waive fees.

Authority. Any conflicts resulting from this procedure will be adjudicated by the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and the Vice President for Finance and Administration or his/her designee.

(Approved by Deans Council, May 10, 2005)

(revised August 27, 2010)

(revised May 10, 2011)

12.3 University Accounts

12.31 Payment of University accounts. Tuition and fees are due in full each semester before the first day of classes. Due dates are indicated on billing statements.

UNH bills are sent electronically only. Bills are posted to student MyUNH/Blackboard accounts. Students may authorize parents or others to access their account information by setting up Parent Portal accounts. Billing notifications are sent to UNH-assigned email addresses when new bills are posted. Students are responsible for monitoring their UNH email addresses.

Mandatory fees partially fund various programs and services which are available to all students. Students are required to pay all mandatory fees charged regardless of actual usage of the programs and services.

Student accounts which are not fully paid by the payment due date specified on the tuition bill will be assessed late fees. Students who register after the payment due date are expected to pay tuition and fees at the time of regis­tration. Graduate students’ tuition and fees are payable at registration and graduate students are not considered registered until their accounts have been paid. If a check tendered in payment is returned unpaid by the bank upon which it was drawn, the student will be assessed a returned check fee.

12.32 Failure to pay University accounts. All university bills must be paid before a student is permitted to register for the ensuing semester, to gradu­ate, to receive any credit for courses taken and to receive transcripts. Any student who does not clear outstanding debts will be considered as not hav­ing completed registration, will have all enrollments for the current semes­ter deleted, and will be held liable for bills under the refund policy (11.34). A student who is eligible to graduate must have all bills paid before he/she can receive a diploma and/or an official transcript.

Student accounts remaining unpaid more than 30 days after termination of student status for any reason may be liable for interest and collection charges.

12.321 Loan defaults. Former students who have not made the required pay­ments (i.e. “defaulted”) on government-backed and/or campus-backed loans will not be permitted to register for classes, to graduate, to receive any credit for courses taken, or to receive transcripts. Please contact Business Services, Stoke Hall. (Some examples of government loans are Perkins, Direct Stafford; some examples of UNH loans are UNH Institutional Loans, UNH Tempo­rary Loans, UNH Emergency Loans.)

12.33 ROTC uniform and equipment charges. Students will be billed for the value of articles issued to them that are lost, damaged, or not returned. Failure to pay such charges shall be processed under 11.22.

12.34 Refund of University charges

12.341 Refund of tuition. One hundred percent of tuition and manda­tory fee charges will be refunded to a student withdrawing before the first day of classes; three-fourths during the first week of a semester; one-half after one week and within thirty days; and none thereafter. (See 03.3). This refund policy also applies to students reducing their credit load from full to part-time. Course fees are refunded only if a course is dropped before the first day of classes or the student withdraws before the first day of classes.

Students receiving Title IV financial aid will be refunded based upon the schedule noted above. Some portion of financial aid may be returned to the financial aid program in accordance with the Title IV regulations in effect at the time of withdrawal from the University or drop from full-time to part-time status.

The UNH refund policy does not apply to students who withdraw from off-campus programs. Since off-campus programs have their own refund policies, students who withdraw from those programs will be subject to the refund policies and terms of their specific off-campus programs.

12.342 Refund of board payment. Refunds on board plans will be granted only on approval or withdrawal from the University. If approved, Unlim­ited Meal Plans will be refunded based on the following: weeks and partial weeks attended will be charged at the weekly rate. Unused Dining Dollar balances will be refunded.

12.343(ad/ss) Housing policies: payment/cancellation/refund. Please refer to Room & Board Agreement, page 55.

12.4 Financial Aid to Students

The Financial Aid Office Web site outlines procedural requirements for undergraduate financial aid and all eligibility criteria for federal financial aid programs and University tuition grants and scholarships. The University’s financial aid program is one in which the basic philosophy for eligibility is the student’s financial need.

University gift aid consists of tuition grants and scholarships. Tuition grants are based on financial need and are awarded to both resident and nonresident students from funds budgeted yearly by authority of the Board of Trustees. Scholarships are additional gift financial aid and are awarded on the basis of any of the following: scholastic achievement, requirements established by a donor, financial need. Scholarships that are based on aca­demic merit are subject to renewal criteria including academic performance (typically reflected by a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00) and a record of good citizenship. Rule 11.31 applies to students who receive University gift aid.

12.41 Eligibility. All degree students are eligible for consideration for finan­cial aid. To be considered for financial aid, a student must annually submit appropriate financial aid application material to the Financial Aid Office.

12.411 Minimum credits. For the award and/or continuation of University grants or loans, a student must be a registered degree candidate.


* All references to the online policy manual (ex: BOT IV F 11.1) can be accessed at