Commercial Activities on Campus

24 Commercial Activities on Campus (ad/ss)

For the purposes of this section “Commercial Activity” is described as any activity undertaken as part of a commercial enterprise. This includes marketing, sales, or any other action deemed as commercial activity by the University.

24.1 Policy for Outdoor Commercial Activities on Campus

The purpose of this policy is to manage outdoor commercial activity on campus in order to maintain a healthy, safe, and attractive educational and living environment, which is in keeping with the University of New Hamp­shire mission, including its Academic Plan, Transportation Policies, and Campus Master Plan. Conducting any commercial activities for the profit of any person or business is permitted on the campus only upon receipt of a UNH Outdoor Commercial Activity Permit with the following conditions and exemptions.

Exemptions The following activities are exempt from this policy:

1. Commercial activities at athletic events that receive authorization from the Director of Athletics and which are registered with the University Police Department through a separate process.

2. Student activities performed by the students of the University.

3. Commercial activities sanctioned under separate contract agreement executed by authorized University officials. Anyone wishing to obtain more information about the UNH Outdoor Commercial Activity Permit can con­tact the UNH Police Department during normal business hours by calling 603.862.1427 or visiting their office at 18 Waterworks Way on campus.

24.2 Sale of Concert and Performance Related Materials

The sale of records, tapes, programs, and other items immediately before, during intermission(s), and directly after concerts and other performances sponsored by recognized student organizations and/or University depart­ments, shall be permitted provided that all material offered for sale is directly related to the person or group performing. Within the Memorial Union refer to policy II.1.i.

24.3 Public Presentations

Public presentations of a commercial nature to which students may be invited shall be permitted in the conference rooms of the New Hampshire Memorial Union, provided that:

1. The presentation or demonstration is specifically requested by a recog­nized student organization and/or at least one faculty/staff member;

2. The room to be used is properly reserved;

3. The Memorial Union and Student Activities Office is given advance writ­ten notification of the time, place, and nature of the presentation or demon­stration and the name(s) of the student(s) who requested the presentation or demonstration; and

4. During and immediately after the presentation or demonstration, no sales may be discussed or closed, no reservations recorded, no money exchanged, and no credit obligations created.

24.4 Memorial Union

The sale of items in the Memorial Union is permitted in designated rooms in accordance with specific guidelines outlined by the Memorial Union and Student Activities Office and the Memorial Union Board of Governors. This shall include items listed in policies II.1.i.iv provided those items do not conflict with items or services currently provided by the Memorial Union. Vendors are guests of the University. The Memorial Union Building withholds the right to deny space or remove any vendor for violating the above policies or for any other reason deemed to be sufficient by the Memorial Union Staff.

24.5 Private Individual Sales Presentations

Nothing in this policy shall prohibit a person or business engaged in com­mercial activities from conducting private individual sales presentations on campus if so requested by a student, advertising in student and local newspapers, telephoning students, or posting information on general-use bulletin boards.

24.6 Permission

A license/permit shall be required by all students, staff, and commercial groups, individuals(s) not associated with the University. Upon appropri­ate approvals, including the Chief of Police or his/her designee, University of New Hampshire Police department, said license/permit will be issued.