Welcoming the newest class of UNH students with timely expert advice

Monday, August 22, 2022

A new class of first-year students and their families will be arriving at UNH this weekend as students move onto campus for the start of the fall semester. So who better to ask for some words of wisdom than fellow Wildcats who have already walked in those footsteps. UNH Magazine asked some of our most recent graduates, some faculty and some parents of the Class of 2022 what their advice would be for both nervous students and even more nervous parents.

Matt ’22, civil engineering

PARENTS

We do want you to be there on move-in day, even though we might act like we’re embarrassed. We enjoy the ways you help us. That day’s sort of scary and chaotic; it can be a little overwhelming. As much as we might act like we want you to leave, we really wish you could stay.

STUDENTS

Eat. Eat three meals a day. Don’t skip eating because you have to study, make the time to eat.

Anna ’22, animal science

PARENTS

Don’t worry about the degree so much that your child is going to choose. Students should choose a degree that they’re passionate about, and they can find a job anywhere.

STUDENTS

Wear a coat.

Katie ’22, occupational therapy

PARENTS

I know you’re so sad to leave your son or daughter here, and I was so sad to say goodbye to my parents. It’s tough to get used to change, but I’m still just as close with my family, the time apart actually made us even closer. Whenever I go home, I just appreciate everything so much more.

STUDENTS

I was really scared when I first got here; I came from a small school, and at first, I was afraid to get involved. At a small school you feel important, but when I got here, I thought ‘Oh I’m just another person.’ But that changes quickly; you’ll find your place if you get involved. People are a lot nicer than you think they are.

Erin Sharp, associate dean, College of Health and Human Services, expert in young adulthood development

PARENTS

I always tell parents the most important thing they can do for their student as they transition to UNH is to help them become advocates for themselves – help them build the skills to know when they need support/resources/help and then to know how to find them and how to ask for help finding them.

Massle ’22, biomedical/pre-veterinary science

STUDENTS

Say yes to things. Ask for help; when I look back, I think I was too scared my freshman year. When you get to your senior year, enjoy it and remember it’s all going to work out. Two weeks ago, I was freaking out about everything, but now everything’s falling into place.

Kristin March, Class of 2022 parent

PARENTS

Your children are considered adults in the eyes of the university. Prepare to feel out of the loop sometimes but ignore the naysayers who tell you to let your kid figure it out on their own: They are still your kids and it's OK to help.

Tammy Fareed, Class of 2022 parent

PARENTS

Most kids get over their first semester jitters and worries, but some don't. Listen to your student's concerns and don't worry yourself, but if your kid is struggling and afraid urge them to seek support from UNH Psychological and Counseling Services. It's not just for those with 'mental illnesses,’  but for any student who needs guidance and encouragement to find their feet and at no additional cost since it's built into tuition.

Sandi Foster, Class of 2022 parent

PARENTS

The time between drop off and first phone call will seem so long. Keep yourself busy — they are fine, just incredibly busy. It is actually a good thing. And consider sending roommates or close friends little care packages. Make sure they know how to contact you and they feel comfortable talking to you. You never know when that contact will be needed.

Nick ’22, business administration: management; business administration: international business and economics dual major

STUDENTS

Take advantage of all the opportunities you can get through UNH, whether it’s going to seminars, or being involved in activities or fraternities/sororities. There’s so much that UNH can offer you.

Brett ’22, business administration: management

STUDENTS

Everyone’s in the same boat when you first get here, all first-year students are trying to make friends, so just be as friendly as possible.

Cameron ’22, business administration: entrepreneurial studies

PARENTS

Don’t worry too much; your kids are going to be safe here at UNH.

STUDENTS

Take advantage of working with your professors, because a lot of the ones I’ve had have shown me different career paths I could take. I would say talk to professors, ask questions and get involved and actively participate in your classes.

Below, hear some additional members of the UNH community share advice for the incoming class in their own words.

Photographer: 
Jeremy Gasowski | UNH Marketing | jeremy.gasowski@unh.edu | 603-862-4465
Videographer: 
Micky Bedell | Paul College
Producer: 
Scott Ripley | UNH Marketing | scott.ripley@unh.edu | 603-862-1855