Wednesday, May 25, 2022
Alioune Mzeirigue headshot

For Alioune Mzeirigue, the turbulent state of global current affairs sparked a passion to promote peace and human security.

“I saw the world in conflict—both in terms of humanity in conflict with itself, in warring factions, and also in the conflict between humanity and nature,” Mzeirigue says. “With so many valuable resources under threat—human lives, the economy and the environment – I needed to understand what is going on in the world around me.”

To follow his dreams of a career in sustainable development, Mzeirigue is pursuing a master’s degree in global conflict and human security (GCHS). We spoke with him about his experience in the fully online GCHS program and his plans for the future.

Why did you choose the GCHS program at UNH? 

The University of New Hampshire is a respected public university, and the global conflict and human security program is unique among grad programs. The program's course content analyzes conflicts and peacebuilding strategies, as well as negotiations and development, among other global and human security issues, and this attracted me. I found everything that I needed to succeed in my professional life in the GCHS program. The reasonable price of these high-quality courses attracted me as well.

How does what you have learned in the GCHS program apply to your career? 

Every course in the GCHS program is essential to my career. From governance and human security to project management and design, I am learning precisely what my chief and supervisors were doing [back in my home country of Mauritania]. For instance, case studies are crucial in any international organization's work and truth commission's analysis. My skills are built, my knowledge is sharpened, and I am more confident applying for advanced positions at the national, regional, and international levels. I can design a development project from scratch and manage it.

What has been the most rewarding part of your UNH experience so far? 

The professors at UNH are highly qualified. I was impressed by the methods and the class discussions and interactions, tutoring services, and online library. I am satisfied with the courses' staff, services, and content.

What are your hopes for after graduation? 

My colleagues and I decided to create a regional consulting office called Security and Peace for Sustainable development in West Africa (PSD). I plan to apply for international organization jobs to practice what I have learned; then, after two or three years, I will focus on my own consulting office.

With conflict and human security becoming a top priority for U.S. foreign policy, UNH has launched a fully online M.S. in Global Conflict & Human Security to prepare graduates for careers in humanitarian relief, global development, peacebuilding and more.