CEPS grad will travel to Norway for seismic research

Thursday, May 17, 2018
UNH's Tyler Chapman '18

Tyler Chapman '18 will conduct research in Norway following graduation from UNH. (Photo: Alex Nguyen)

Tyler Chapman '18, an engineering physics honors student, has received a Fulbright grant to conduct research in Norway.

“I will be traveling to Oslo to work with the Centre for Earth Evolution and Dynamics and the Plasma and Space Physics research groups, both of which are located at the University of Oslo,” Chapman says.

His research, which will examine electromagnetic and seismic signals, could have far-reaching impact. “Specifically, I will investigate a large earthquake that occurred in February of 2008 near Svalbard to determine the statistical correlation between these two types of signals and produce a public database of signal events,” Chapman explains. “I hope that this research effort will advance the understanding of analysis and detection methods for seismic events.”

Chapman credits his research at UNH as one of the key factors in receiving the Fulbright award.

"I have spent almost four years, summers included, working with professor Marc Lessard in the Magnetosphere Ionosphere Research Lab in Morse Hall. Professor Lessard's connection with professors in Norway is what laid the groundwork for my International Research Opportunities Program trip there last summer, which was instrumental in facilitating the research connections necessary to field a strong Fulbright application."

The Somersworth, New Hampshire, resident, has been very involved on campus during his four years at UNH — taking part in student organizations including ET-NavSwarm and UNH Robotics as well as the Society of Physics Students and Pi Mu Epsilon Mathematics Honors Society. “Apart from allowing me to pursue my extracurricular interests, I have also held leadership positions in these organizations, which have afforded experiences that have already proven to be professionally invaluable,” Chapman says.  

Chapman has also been involved in the classroom in ways that go far beyond studying: He served as an undergraduate learning assistant for chemistry and physics courses from his freshman year on. “I have always enjoyed teaching and being part of others’ educational process, and hope to continue doing so in the future,” he says.

He'll do more of that in Norway.

“I plan to engage with the community by working with local schools to develop new STEM-based classroom activities to bolster their curriculum and promote youth education,” Chapman says.

Chapman says he chose UNH because of its strong STEM offerings and abundance of undergraduate research opportunities. As he prepares to depart for his in-depth research an ocean away, that choice has paid off: “As someone who was unsure of exactly what they wanted to do but was interested in physics and engineering, I saw UNH as an opportunity to explore each field with the help of extremely talented faculty and discover what I truly love to do,” he says. “UNH has helped me to develop an academic passion that I know I will carry for the rest of my life, as well as connected me with many marvelous people that I hope to cherish for just as long.”