Ecogastronomy majors make local food the focus

Wednesday, April 11, 2018
Farmers Market at UNH

The next MUB Market takes place Thursday, April 12, at the MUB. 

Members of Slow Food UNH and ecogastronomy majors are bringing another farmers market to the MUB on April 12 from noon to 4 p.m. The MUB Market will welcome produce and prepared food vendors from the area, including bakers, pasta makers, beekeepers, vegetable growers, and many other purveyors of local goods.

This is the fourth MUB Market of the academic year. Student organizers Emily Lane ’18, Andy Rogers ’18 and Tyler Quinn Smith ’18 — all ecogastronomy dual majors — say bringing it to campus gives students and others in the community a chance to see where their food is coming from and who produced it, and that helps build a sustainable food culture at UNH.

“Students need access to products produced in responsibly designed systems. I trust these farmers because I can look them in the eyes and ask them questions. If I choose to, I can drive the short distance to their farms to see [the production of the food] with my own eyes,” says Rogers, who is vice president of Slow Food UNH, which will offer tasty samples at the market.

Farmers markets are good for community building, says Smith, and for vendors, the MUB Market offers a “great opportunity to meet more consumers, educate students and sell products."