Our alumni and faculty share their picks

Thursday, April 5, 2018
Books on library bookshelves

Brené Brown: Daring Greatly and Rising Strong, and Tama Kieves: Inspired & Unstoppable: Wildly Succeeding in Your Life’s Work!.

—Nancy Bixby ’81

Saxbys actually does a monthly book club and one of the recent ones I read was Grit by Angela Duckworth, a personal female role model of mine.

—Trisha Crowe ’17

Venture capitalist Ben Horowitz published a book called The Hard Thing About Hard Things which is an exciting read for entrepreneurs. Another useful and well-written book is What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful by executive coach Marshall Goldsmith. I would also recommend the poem “Still I Rise” by Maya Angelou, which is testament to the power of the human spirit.

—Tanya Mehta ’97

Disappearing Acts: Gender, Power, and Relational Practice at Work by Joyce Fletcher; it’s a classic in illustrating how and why women’s contributions in the workplace are often systematically “disappeared” by dynamics that are usually difficult to see and even harder to reveal and discuss.

—Victoria Parker, associate dean of graduate education and faculty administration

True North by Bill George. I read this in my leadership class with Dr. Carole Barnett, and it changed my life. It helps you think about deep questions, such as: what is my true purpose for leadership and why do I want to lead others? The book showed me how to be a leader driven by values and purpose. I also use the framework for the basis of my podcast interviews, so it has really impacted me in many ways!

—Annie Spano ’14G

McKinsey & Company has been contributing to women’s leadership with a series of reports titled “Women Matter.” The most recent one, published in October 2017, marks the 10th year anniversary of the series and it is an 84-page intriguing read that provides rich data and insights into gender diversity, parity and leadership in the workplace. The report identifies ten key trends supplemented by commentaries from today’s engaged leaders both women and men in the public sector, business world and academia. I highly recommend it!

—Billur Akdeniz Talay, associate professor of marketing