The Inclusion Council is comprised of the chairs of Diversity and Inclusion Committees (Equity Advocates) already or recently forged in colleges, Student Affairs and units. The Council works on relevant unit-based inclusivity by exchanging information, discussing obstacles, resources, activities, best practices and creative ideas about inclusive pedagogy, recruiting, retention, and programming.
Equity Advocates have the following responsibilities:
- Strategic planning, leadership, and accountability for diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Assisting in the creation of a strategic plan for DEI, aligned with the university’s Strategic Plan and results from the 2019 campus climate survey. For example:
- Assisting in the recruitment and retention of underrepresented faculty and staff.
- Assisting in the recruitment and retention of underrepresented students.
- Promoting curriculum transformation (cutting edge pedagogy; inclusive teaching, active engagement, internationalization, etc.).
- Assisting in fundraising efforts to support the college’s strategic plan for DEI and the university’s plan, as appropriate.
- Assisting with special initiatives and projects/events, as requested.
- Attending monthly meetings and potential subcommittee meetings for Equity Advocates as organized by the AVP of Community, Equity, and Diversity.