Undergraduate Coursework

UNH Continuing Education works with students with a variety of educational goals:

  • who desire to take a few courses for career development;
  • who plan eventually to enter graduate or professional school;
  • who seek courses to complete degree programs from other institutions;
  • who wish to resume study towards a bachelor's degree;
  • local high school juniors and seniors who would like to pursue their studies beyond the level provided at their school.

A-Z Campus Resources

Note: not all resources are available to non-degree students.

Campus Directories

Undergraduate Courseload Policy

Fall and Spring

Individuals not enrolled in a degree program may register for a maximum of 11 credits in the fall or spring.

Individuals who are not enrolled in a UNH degree program must receive permission from the Office of Admissions to register for 12 or more undergraduate credits in the fall or spring. Students approved to enroll in 12 or more credits pay full-time undergraduate tuition and fees at the time of registration.

Summer Session

Students NOT enrolled in a UNH degree program are not required to receive special permission to exceed the 11 credit limit during the summer.

Students ENROLLED in a UNH degree program are limited to 12 credits in the summer. Dean's permission is required to exceed that credit limit.

January Term

Due to the intensive format of January Term, ALL students are limited to registering for one* course and a maximum of 4 credits.
*One Course Exception: Students may register for more than one course provided the courses DO NOT meet concurrently and the total credits DO NOT exceed the 4 credit maximum.

To take a course for credit (that is, for a grade) you do not need to apply for admission. UNH does require students registering for Undergraduate courses (numbered 200-799) to meet several eligibility requirements.

Eligibility requirements:

  • A high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
  • Demonstrated successful academic performance.
  • Successful completion of all course prerequisites.
  • Not currently under disciplinary sanctions from UNH/UNH-M, another college or university, or court-ordered probation or other sanctions.

*The University reserves the right to restrict registration to those who cannot demonstrate the completion of the above requirements and to bar registration or withdraw a student who upon request fails to provide proper documentation or who demonstrates unacceptable performance once enrolled.

Various forms of financial assistance are available to non-degree students enrolled in credit courses. 
Information about alternative loan options:
UNH Durham Financial Aid 
UNH Manchester Financial Aid

Complete dates and deadlines for add/drop, refunds, registration, withdrawal, and more can be found on the University Master Academic Calendar.

As a non-degree student, it is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations that govern the University of New Hampshire.

Degree-Seeking Students

A number of Continuing Education students intend to complete their undergraduate degree at UNH. More information about programs and admission is available from the Office of Admissions.

Challenging Academically Talented Students (CATS) Program

The CATS Program is open to motivated and academically strong high school seniors and juniors who want to enrich their academic experience with an introductory college level course (400-500 level). Learn More

Pre-Admission Program

The Pre-Admission Program allows non-traditional students, who may need to strengthen their academic credentials, the opportunity to begin studies through Continuing Education at UNH and to use coursework completed while in the Pre-Admission Program as a credential for admission to a UNH bachelor’s degree program. Learn More

Registrations are processed by the Office of the Registrar.

Business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, E.S.T., except holidays.

ID Cards: Students registered for coursework may request an ID card through the ID Office. Please email ID.Office@unh.edu, include your name, UNH ID number and indicate you are a non-degree student.

How to Register

Payment in full (tuition & fees) is due at the time of registration. Non-payment will result in being dropped from coursework.

Returning Non-Degree Students

  • Online

MyUNH account holders register online.
Login help: UNH IT Service Desk (603) 862-4242 or visit www.unh.edu/it/loginhelp.

Step by Step:

1. Go to MyUNH, and login.
2. Select WEBCAT and login.
3. Select Registration.
4. Select Add/Drop Courses.
5. Select a Term from drop down and Submit.
6. Enter CRNs (the five digit course reference number) for the courses at the bottom of the page, or select Class Search to find classes which are open.
7. Select Submit Changes.
8. Select Complete when finished.
9. Submit payment as directed online.
10. For a printout of your schedule; choose Printable Schedule.
Type in the date for the first full week of classes.

New Non-Degree Students


NH Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver - Registration

Please refer to the above "How to Register" section for registration instructions. Registration begins on the first day of non-degree registration each semester. Complete the following steps prior to registering:

  • Provide a copy of NH State Driver’s License and a completed Waiver Agreement Form to Business Services.
  • Check the course schedule for additional permissions required prior to registration. This information will be listed in the course description.
  • Students interesting in auditing must complete an Audit Form (instructor signature required).

Additional Information

  • Registration is on a space-available basis.
  • Prospective students must be 65 years of age as of the first day of the course.
  • Waivers will only be granted at the time of registration (not retroactively).
  • Non-credit courses, workshops, etc. are not covered by the tuition waiver.

* Certain credit-bearing courses offered at UNH but administered by other institutions – such as Isles of Shoals and Library Science courses – are not covered by the tuition waiver

Tuition and Fee rates are available on the Business Services website.


All non-degree students who register for credit courses are subject to mandatory registration, student services, technology and any special course fees.

NH senior citizen tuition waiver

New Hampshire residents who are age 65 or older and are not enrolled in a degree program are eligible to take a maximum of two credit-bearing courses* per fiscal year (Summer Session/Fall/January Term/Spring) tuition-free. Students are responsible for all other costs of attendance, including fees. See registration section for instructions about how to register.

Transcript requests are processed by the  Office of the Registrar.