Health Information for Incoming Students

Health Information for Incoming Students

Welcome to UNH! Health Services provides quality medical care and wellness education/counseling for all UNH students. Conveniently located across Main Street from the MUB, Health Services is open seven days a week during the academic year. Students with health concerns can speak with a health care professional even when we're closed.

UNH requires all full-time students to have health insurance. Students with their own health insurance must complete an online waiver (available mid-June). Students who are not covered by another health insurance plan may enroll in the Student Health Benefits Plan.Additionally, students pay a health fee. The health fee covers all office visits without a copay, among other benefits.

It is our obligation and our pleasure to help students, like you, stay well at UNH. Help us take care of you by reviewing the following information and providing the items in the checklist by July 1:


1. Complete your Health History online(available mid-June).

2. Download the Physical Form for your health care provider to complete.

  • First year students are required to have a physical on file upon entrance into UNH. If you have had a physical within the last 12 months, please have your health care provider complete the physical form with the date and information from your last exam. If you do not have a current physical, or a physical scheduled before July 1, please communicate your plans. Late submissions will be accepted.
  • Athletes intending to play a sport should contact their coach for specific physical date requirements. Student athletes are also required (by UNH Athletics) to complete these forms.
  • Graduate students do not need to complete the physical form.

3. Download the Immunization Record for your health care provider to complete.

4.  Complete an online TB screening (available mid-June).

  • If your results DO NOT indicate you are at an increased risk for TB, you do NOT need to complete the TB Testing and Treatment Form at the end of the screening.
  • If your results DO indicate you are at an increased risk for TB, you must:

    • Print the TB Testing and Treatment Form at the end of the screening and discuss your risk and possible testing with your health care provider.
    • Provide the TB Testing and Treatment Form to Health Services prior to your arrival on campus.

5. Parents of students who are under 18 must download, sign and return a Consent to Treat Minors.


Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)

MMR is the only immunization required by UNH prior to attendance. You must submit proof of two MMR vaccinations or, if the vaccinations were received individually, proof of two Measles, two Mumps, and one Rubella vaccination. If you were born before 1957, you are exempt from providing documentation. 


These recommended immunizations are available at Health Services for a fee, if you are unable to get them from your primary care provider. Learn more.


Vaccination against meningococcal disease is not a requirement for admission to UNH; however, consider this information from our Medical Director.  

Hepatitis B

Human Papillomavirus (HPV)


Getting well

Being sick away from home doesn’t need to be stressful. You can access Health Services by phone any time of day. Our nurses will talk with you about ways you can take care of yourself and/or schedule an appointment. When you’re packing for the fall, be sure to include a Health Kit. You can also learn more about staying healthy at UNH by subscribing to Student Health 101 and reading our blog on UNH Tales.


You are allowed to keep prescription and over-the-counter medications in your on-campus housing. If you have medication that has psychotropic effects or requires the use of needles for administration, we encourage you to keep these safeguarded from theft in a hidden lock box. You can purchase over-the-counter medications and get prescription medications filled at the Health Services pharmacy. Learn more.

Chronic Illness

Are you living with a chronic illness? Meet with our community health nurse to find out how Health Services works with specialists and primary care providers to coordinate services and provide care such as monitoring health/illness, lab work, etc. You’ll also learn about additional UNH resources, peer support, what to do when you’re sick and more.


Health Services has a legal and ethical responsibility to safeguard the privacy of all patients/clients; therefore, all visits are kept strictly confidential.  The patient/client must present written consent to release their health information, except in rare situations as specified by law or Health Services policy. There are certain uses and disclosures of health information that do not require a patient’s/client’s consent. These are outlined in our Notice of Privacy Practices.

Can I name a health care proxy?

A health care proxy may be named in the event a patient is not able to communicate his/her wishes regarding treatment (RSA: 137, J). A copy of the health proxy form may be sent to Health Services. Most of the time a health care proxy is needed in an emergency situation, which will almost always be managed by a hospital (not Health Services). If you have a health care proxy, keep a copy of the form with you in your wallet or purse to ensure that the hospital is aware of your wishes.


  • Proof of Insurance or Enrollment in Student Health Benefit Plan
  • Health History Form
  • Physical Form
  • Immunization Record
  • Online TB Assessment