Monday, October 1, 2018

Emily Checkoway
Emily Checkoway ’10

"There will always be a big place in my heart for UNH. It’s the place where I met my forever friends and my future husband.

Although I live in Chicago, I have stayed connected with the UNH community through its recently retired Pathways mentorship program. I was paired with undergraduate students to provide guidance, answer questions and prepare them for real-world job situations. As a Chicago public schools speech-language pathologist, I was able to offer a slightly different perspective for the mentees I worked with through monthly one-on-one Skype engagements that often consisted of mock interviews, help with academic coursework and tips for graduate school and post-graduate work. It was exciting and heartwarming to watch my students achieve their individual goals, which included but were not limited to overcoming personal hardships, graduating summa cum laude, completing master’s degrees, and landing dream jobs.

Now, I am helping to test the pilot program for UNH’s new online community, Wildcat Connections. This system makes it easy to build professional relationships, expand career networks and provide support and advice to undergraduate students. I’m excited to continue to be a part of the UNH community through the opportunity that Wildcat Connections has created.”