Wednesday, April 18, 2018

English Literature major Gabrielle Scott has been named of on this year's recipients of the B. Thomas Trout Scholars Award. Ms. Scott is a Junior who will use the award to help defray the costs associated with her Summer 2018 study away experience in Dijon, France.  When asked for her reaction to being named one of the recipients of this honor, Ms. Scott said the following: 

"I will be abroad for eight weeks in Dijon, France where I will complete the UNH equivalent of French 504 and French 631. I am planning on minoring in French. The COLA Study Abroad Office emailed me and said I was eligible to apply for the Trout scholarship. I mentioned it to my advisor, Prof. Petar Ramadanovic, and he said he would be delighted to submit a nomination on my behalf. I travelled to Peru in high school on a class trip for a week, but I have yet to travel anywhere else. I am from Lancaster, NH, a small town in the northern part of the state. Growing up, I never had much exposure to different cultures and customs besides my own, so I believe my summer in Dijon will be extremely valuable and rewarding. I am excited to work outside of my comfort zone and become more conscious to different world perspectives. As for goals, I will work hard to fully immerse myself in French culture, and make lasting connections with my host family and friends I make abroad. Academically, I hope to increase and improve my knowledge of French. After graduation I plan on pursing an advanced degree in English; where a requirement of many graduate schools is the knowledge of a foreign language. My studies this summer will provide me a competitive edge when applying to graduate programs.

The B. Thomas Trout scholarship has allowed me to make my dream of studying abroad possible; something I strongly believe will be a defining moment in my educational, professional, and personal lives."

The late B. Thomas Trout was a professor of political science and an associate dean in the College of Liberal Arts. Throughout his career, Professor Trout actively and tirelessly promoted international studies as a vital part of the college curriculum. He was equally dedicated to the development of study abroad programs for undergraduates, convinced that expanding the range of international study opportunities for American college students was integral to their understanding of a complicated world.

In Professor Trout's honor, the College of Liberal Arts established the B. Thomas Trout Scholars Fund, which supports academically outstanding College of Liberal Arts undergraduates, allowing them to participate in a UNH-managed study abroad program in the College.