From Paul College to Australia, Heather Price ’18 makes the most of her UNH experience

Tuesday, May 30, 2017
Heather Price in classroom at UNH

Heather Price in a classroom at the UNH Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics

“UNH ticked all the boxes.”

Ask Heather Price ’18, a hospitality management major at the Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics, what brought her to UNH, and that is her reaction.

“Paul College blew all the competitors out of the water,” she says. “From the newly established facilities to the outstanding hospitality program, I was beyond impressed.”

There was more, too, Price explains.

“It was clear that the students have school spirit, always representing blue and white while cheering on the Wildcats at every sporting event,” she adds. “Not to mention, the campus grounds are absolutely gorgeous. It was hard to consider any other schools after my first visit.”

Coming to UNH, Price dove right in — to her rigorous academic pursuits at Paul College she added participation in many of the clubs and opportunities available on campus. She is a Dean’s Ambassador at Paul College as well as a member of the Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society, Golden Key International Honour Society, Circle K International, Beast of the East Pep Band, University Honors Program and Paul College Honors Program.

Price also took advantage of UNH’s international education opportunities.

“As a hospitality major with a strong interest in having an international career, I was ecstatic to see the plentiful choices of places I could go,” she explains. “I ended up studying at the International College of Management, Sydney in Australia, where I not only learned new perspectives of the industry in my elective courses, but I also learned about myself.” Price says UNH’s Center for International Education and Global Engagement (CIEGE) was invaluable in making that happen: “I was able to say goodbye to my UNH life for a semester, hop on a plane by myself and live independently in a brand new place. This was extremely difficult for me, as I hadn’t been abroad prior to this experience.”

CIEGE, she explains, is “there for their students from the consideration process to being abroad to coming back and readjusting to life at home. I would never have had this incredible trip if I did not choose to come to UNH. And without this trip, I would not have known if an international career was right for me. Now I know for a fact that this is something I need to pursue.”

At Paul College, Price says, “The opportunities and abundant resources available to students are unbelievable.” From career services to the entrepreneurship center, from undergraduate advising to student organizations and the faculty itself, the goal is to help “each and every student get the most out of our four years and set us up for success."

Price adds she is proud to be part of the college’s hospitality management program.

Want To Get Away?

UNH student in Africa

Explore study abroad options

“We were recently ranked No. 2 in New England and No. 26 in the whole country,” she explains. “This is a huge testament to the faculty and staff who work tirelessly to give us exceptional opportunities and learning experiences.” Price describes the experience of connecting with industry leaders and taking part in hands-on classes: “The department’s strong ties with alumni and industry partners also give students an edge on internship and job opportunities.”

So what is the most important lesson she’s learned during her three years at UNH?

“There are so many possibilities within my college career, but they can only happen if I put in the work. If an opportunity presents itself, I’ve learned that I should just say yes,” she says, adding, “Be open to the things that come your way. Through all the experiences I’ve had, UNH has shown me that I am capable of much more than I realized.”