Janet Khoury '18 believes in getting involved, in class and beyond

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

UNH student Janet Khoury
Janet Khoury has some advice for incoming students: Try new things.

From Arabic to accounting, Janet Khoury ’18 has been learning a lot since she arrived at UNH.

One thing in particular stands out, however.

“The most important lesson I have learned is to not be afraid to try new things and to be yourself,” she says.

A business administration major concentrating in accounting, Khoury loves being part of the Paul College of Business and Economics community.

Dean Deborah Merrill-Sands, Khoury says, “has done so much for our school, and I'm glad I get to be a part of it. We became one of the top 100 business schools in the country. I am proud that I can attend a college with such a great program.”

Khoury knew she was interested in a university with a strong Arabic program and a business school. “Once I toured UNH, I knew that I wanted to come here. I remember my mom looking at me smiling and saying, ‘Janet, you love it here don't you?’ Yes, I did. The campus was absolutely beautiful; everyone I met was extremely nice,” she says. “I just had that good feeling everyone talks about.”

Now in her junior year, Khoury’s enthusiasm continues.

“I love how all the professors I have had have been so helpful, especially when they help me with my future goals,” she says. “They really care about their students.”

In addition to her accounting courses, Khoury loves her Arabic class.

“There are only four other students in my class, so we have a great relationship with each other and our professor,” she says, adding, “I take Arabic because I've always wanted to learn it, not for any requirement. So with that being said, going to class every day and being able to apply my learning these past two years has been amazing. I never thought I could have this much fun learning a language.”

Outside the classroom, Khoury is currently a second-year resident assistant (RA) in Congreve Hall; treasurer of Alpha Phi Omega, a coed community service fraternity; secretary of Accounting Students Association; a Paul College Dean's Ambassador; and a member of the women’s rugby team.

“I have had such great experiences and opportunities with all I am involved in,” she says, adding, “If I had to choose, I would say my favorite experience at UNH has been being an RA. I have made friendships over the past two years that I know will continue after graduation. I have attained numerous skills that have helped me now and I know will also help me in my career.”

The lessons learned in such interactions, Khoury says, are among the most important: “I don't know where I would be this year if it weren't for all the clubs and organizations I have been a part of. There are always new things to try out on campus. When you get more involved, more doors open up for great opportunities."

Jeremy Gasowski | UNH Marketing | jeremy.gasowski@unh.edu | 603-862-4465