Women's Commission Awards
- Student Award: to recognize those who promote community, equity, diversity and inclusion at UNH through their advocacy efforts and in building awareness of current issues.
- Faculty Award: In recognition of outstanding contributions toward promoting equity and inclusion in women's voices through research, policy changes, curriculum development, advocacy and education.
- Stephanie Thomas Staff Award: created in honor of former Registrar, Stephanie Thomas, who was a strong advocate for women's rights at UNH. This award in her memory, is given to a UNH staff member who has displayed a long-standing commitment to women's issues and the mission of the Women's Commission.
- Joyce Gibbs Award for Teams and Organizations: created in 1996 to honor Joyce James Gibbs, who served as a senior administrative assistant to the Women's Commission from 1990 - 1997. Throughout her life, Joyce was the support and anchor for a wide circle of students, activists, and others in the UNH and Seacoast communities. This award seeks to recognize teams and organizations for their collaborative initiatives, group activism and/or coalition-building in demonstration of commitment and inspiration in support of the mission of the Women's Commission.
Do you know a person or organization that promotes empowerment and inclusion?
Help us honor and celebrate the work to foster continued progress toward respectful attitudes, behaviors and standards and lessen fear around difference.
Deadline for nominations: Midnight, March 11, 2018
Achievements Supported by the Women's Commission
- Development and promotion of Consensual Amorous Relationship Policy
- Development and promotion of Flexible Work Arrangements Task Force to develop polices and guidelines to support flexible work arrangements
- Coordinate an annual Women's Commission Awards Event celebrating the lives and contributions of women.
- Promote the adoption of a university policy on Sexual Harassment. This clear policy statement also includes guidelines and procedures for implementation.
- Development and promotion of Lactation Policy
- Educate the university community on issues relating to recruitment, hiring, and retention of women faculty.
- Promote the adoption of a Non-Sexist Language Policy and "Guidelines for the Use of Non-Sexist Language".
- Creation of Violence Against Women Committee to educate the university community on issues relating to violence against women.
- Develop programs for women students in career development, leadership skills, women in science and women's studies.
- Review and rewrite the UNH maternity policy.
- Promote development of the UNH Women's Studies Program and the inclusion of a scholarship of women into the curriculum.
- Promote equity increases to correct salary inequalities.
- Promote development of child care information, referral network and childcare center.
- Increase the attention to employment issues for staff women, including pay, upward mobility, recruitment, grievance procedures, and in-service training needs.
- Advocate the addition of gynecological health care through University Health Services.
- Review and promote UNH's Affirmative Action Plan.