CED introduces new funding program Dive In and Deliver to expand financial support within the college
The Advisory Council will advise and inform the President on issues of race, inclusion and civility on our campus as well as, monitor and revise as needed, recommendations outlined in the final report of the Presidential Task Force on Campus Climate dated April 10, 2018.
The Council will also assist in prioritizing high-level findings as outlined in the Campus Climate Survey report (to be released September 2019). Strategic themes include; Organizational Structure, Curriculum, Campus Climate, Recruitment and Retention, and Community Engagement.
Monica Chiu (Chair) - interim Associate Vice President, Office of Community, Equity and Diversity
Nooran Alhamdan - Undergraduate student, Student Senate Rep
Cris Beemer - Associate Prof of English
Darnelle Bosquet-Fleurival - Assistant Director, Residential Life
Elza Brechbuhl, Undergraduate student, Community Development Council Chairperson (Student Senate)
Leslie Couse - Executive Director, Engagement & Faculty Development
Deb Della Selva, Information Technologist, Admissions (PAT Council Rep)
Lu Ferrell - Associate Director, LGBTQ+ Coordinator, Office of Multicultural Student Affairs
Kathy Fletcher - Library Manager, UNH School of Law
Jim Graham - Mgr, Leadership Communications & Advocacy, Communications & Public Affairs
Carrie Grube - Recruiting Manager, Human Resources
Deborah Merrill-Sands - Dean, Paul College of Business and Economics
Amy Oliva - Administrative Director, Discovery Program
Leila Paje-Manalo - Director, Office of International Students and Scholars
Dawna Perez - Executive Director, Academic Success, Director, TRIO SSS
Janice Pierson - Administrative Coordinator, Office of Community, Equity and Diversity, (OS Council Rep)
Shari Robinson - Director, Psychological and Counseling Services
Mike Shuttic - Director, Student Accessibility Services
Kate Siler - Program Coordinator, ADVANCE
Donna Marie Sorrentino - Director, Affirmative Action and Equity office
Emily Whalen, Graduate Student (Graduate Student Senate Rep)
Dave Zamansky - Assistant Director, MUB
Task Force Report
This report provides a vantage from which to view progress and consider steps towards continued growth and will inform our ongoing efforts to address issues of community, equity and diversity. More specifically, the purpose of this report is threefold: 1) to provide a vantage from which to view institutional progress with regard to diversity and equity efforts, 2) to articulate and make visible some of the challenges and obstacles that may impede further progress, and 3) to provide a set of recommendations that include action steps, metrics for monitoring progress, and lines of accountability.
Ongoing initiatives since release of report
- Academic Year 2018/19: English 401, a required course for all first-year students, now integrates more diverse perspectives and research methodologies across its pedagogical arena.
- Summer 2018: UNH created a Social Media Policy, currently included in the Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities.
- Spring 2019: a campus-wide climate survey launched.
- Senior leadership (the President's Cabinet and the Deans' Council) participated in a two-part educational workshop on leadership, inclusivity, and higher education.
- Department of Communications created the Civil Discourse Lab, offering courses and workshops for students interested in building dialogues across difference and strengthening skillsets needed when opposing points of view are being aired
- CED introduces new program Dive In and Deliver to expand financial support for diversity-related initiatives within the colleges.