Elements of a Paper
- Cutting Clutter
- Developing a Thesis
- Self Editing Checklist
- Topic Sentences
- Using Outside Sources
- Using Quotes
- Writing & Revision Tips
Grammar and Usage
- Active and Passive Voice
- Comma Splices
- Commonly Confused Words
- Parallel Structure
- Sentence Boundaries
- Sentence Clarity
- Vague Pronouns
Types of Writing
UNH Online Writing Lab (OWL) - Online writing assistance available to students who cannot come to the Writing Center.
Duke University Libraries: Citing Articles from a Printed Journal - Online examples of how to cite sources in APA, Chicago, MLA, Turabian, and CSE styles.
Indiana University Writing Tutorial Services: Plagiarism - Tips on how to recognize and avoid plagiarism with examples of correct and incorrect use of research material.
Purdue Online Writing Lab: Grammar handouts - Grammar exercises and downloadable handouts arranged by topic.
Writing Commons - Online handbook with resources on information literacy, research methods and methodologies, the writing process, collaboration, various genres of writing, new media, and style.
- Center for Academic Resources (CFAR) - CFAR provides study training, drop-in tutoring, and study groups for selected courses (often math, science, and business courses). CFAR also offers individual academic mentoring for eligible students.
- Center for Excellence and Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CEITL)- Offers a rich collection of resources, information, and expertise to support the university's mission of enhancing student learning through the continual improvement of teaching.
- University Advising and Career Center (UACC) - The UACC helps students identify interests, skills, and values that lead to a major and a post-UNH experience. They assist students with writing resumes and cover letters, finding jobs or internships, and applying to graduate school.
- Disability Services for Students (DSS) - Disability Services assists students with documented disabilities (physical, medical, LD or ADD/ADHD, psychological, or chronic illness) by providing appropriate accommodations and support within the university environment.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Institute - The ESL Institute is designed for students who want to develop their English language skills and learn more about American culture. ESL courses are offered at UNH during the summer and the academic year.
Video and PowerPoint Resources
- Effective Presentations
- Terrible Presentations (and How Not to Give One)
- Video: Advice on using (and not using) PowerPoint
Handouts for oral presentations
- Reducing public speaking anxiety
- Presentation preparation countdown
- Self-coaching worksheet part 1: Planning content
- Self-coaching worksheet part 2: Delivery
Some useful Web Resources
- American Rhetoric, a huge database of speeches (many with video), both from the "real world" and from the movies.
An Introduction to the Connors Writing Center -- A brief, introductory video about the writing center and our services.
UNH Writing Assistants Talk About Writing -- A collection of reflections on and tips about writing in college from UNH writing assistants.
The Peer Response Presentation
The two videos below are recordings of the skits we use during peer response presentations. Between each skit, we engage the class in a discussion about the effectiveness of each response session. We've also included the two handouts we bring to classes for the peer response presentation: first, a copy of the essay from the videos so that the class can follow along; second, a handout of tips for approaching peer response sessions.
Texts and Virtual Texts
- Writing Commons
- U of Wisconsin, Madison Writer's Handbook
- U of Illinois Writer Resources & Grammar Handbook
- The Mayfield Handbook of Tehnical and Scientific Writing
- Penn. State University Style for Students Online
- Writing In College: From Competence to Excellence (Guptill)
- The Norton Field Guide to Writing
- The Decisive Writer