Tuesday, April 12, 2022

In 1964, Ann Kelley came to UNH to help establish the Department of Nursing. She served in many roles within the department until her retirement in 1998. Ann’s 33 years of service were instrumental to framing the success of the department, which is now a nationally ranked program and one of the most sought-after majors at UNH.

There have been two scholarships created in Ann’s name. In 2006, the Ann M. Kelley Scholarship for Nursing was established, which has been awarded to 26 individuals to date.

In 2020, the Ann Kelley Great Nurses Scholarship was established, with awards given to 12 students to date.

"Ann taught me both the art and science of the profession. I learned how to ask people difficult questions, to support their decisions, and advocate for people in need of healthcare."
Carolyn Innis Remley '70

Ann passed away in March, 2020. The Department of Nursing recently held a celebratory event to honor her life and legacy, which was attended by Ann’s family as well as nursing department students, alumni, faculty and staff. 

Carolyn Innis Remley ’70, who was a member of the second incoming class of nursing students at UNH, shares this memory of Ann:

“I came to UNH in the fall of 1966. Our class gathered at Elizabeth DeMeritt House to begin our journey into the profession of Nursing. Mary Louise Fernald, Marguerite Fogg, and Ann Kelley were there to welcome us. Mrs. Kelley told us that we were trailblazers, and would change the profession as a result of the education we were beginning. We would lead and revolutionize healthcare environments. Our professional loyalty was to be to our patients, above physicians, hospitals, and job security.

The curriculum was tough, and there were many times I wasn’t sure I’d survive. I would think back on those first days at UNH, and remember Ann Kelley’s words. I owed my future patients the grit and focus to be the best I could be.

Ann taught me both the art and science of the profession. I learned how to ask people difficult questions, to support their decisions, and advocate for people in need of healthcare.

I am retired now. My nursing career has been a patchwork of roles in inpatient and outpatient bedside care, education, political advocacy, research, administration, and community volunteering. While no longer in a formal practice role, I still identify as a nurse, and always will. It all started one chilly New Hampshire afternoon, with the timeless words of a great teacher. Rest in power, Ann.”

View photos from the event to honor Ann Kelley

Read “A Brief History of the Department of Nursing at UNH” written by Ann in February 1990