Tuesday, May 4, 2021
Blanca Santibanez '20, graduate of the biotechnology program at UNH Manchester

"In Our Own Voices" is a photo and story gallery celebrating diversity and the voices that make the UNH Manchester community a wonderful place to live, learn and grow. Their stories are our story—and we are proud to tell it. Blanca Santibanez '20, a recent graduate of the biotechnology program, shares her story below.

***

“I learned that working hard and with passion was my American Dream, and it was up to me to take the lead on the land of opportunities.”

I remember the day I stepped foot in UNH Manchester. It was orientation day, and I had no idea how my college experience would be. I had just graduated from high school and had only lived in the U.S. for two years. I knew the basics of English grammar and spoke relatively good English, yet I felt scared I was not going to make the cut for a college degree. I am an immigrant like many others that have come to the U.S. to live the American Dream. I had left my family, friends, and city where I lived as a child and a teenager. I came to the U.S. with my mom, and I knew it was going to be a great journey for both of us. I knew I had to help my mom and my family back home, so stopping work was never an option. I had to learn how to balance work and school if I wanted to follow my passion. My path at UNH Manchester could not have been more rewarding and life changing. I learned to work through my difficulties and embrace them. I learned that working hard and with passion was my American Dream, and it was up to me to take the lead on the land of opportunities.

Videographer: 
David Vogt | Communications and Public Affairs
Producer: 
Kassidy Taylor | Marketing & Communications, UNH Manchester | kassidy.taylor@unh.edu