Tuesday, July 21, 2020

We know incoming freshmen and their families have a lot of questions about the academic, cultural and social climate at UNH Manchester. That's why we're introducing you to the orientation leaders and Peer Assistant Leaders (PALs), who help first-year students adjust to campus life. This week's PAL is Jamila Peguero '21, a psychology major and graduate of Timberlane Regional High School.

What do you like best about being a PAL? 

I love the connection! As a PAL I meet so many wonderful people with diverse backgrounds that it allows for a dialogue of learning. I learn from them, and they learn from me. Together we create a community, and as a PAL you’re the one who sparked that community. Nothing is more rewarding than knowing you made a connection and an impact on someone’s life.

What advice do you have for new students? 

Make the most of UNH Manchester! Get out there and make new friends, get an on-campus job, join a club or create your own. Making new friends and trying new things has helped me in ways I can’t even describe. I have met so many wonderful people and made lifelong friends at UNH Manchester.

As a more academic tip, make the most of First Year Seminar and the resources on campus. The various offices are here for you and ensure that you have all the tools you need to succeed.

What brought you to UNH Manchester? 

When I learned I had received the Granite Guarantee, due to financially qualifying and meeting all the requirements, I knew I had to check the school out. Once I stepped foot on campus I was instantly attracted to the close-knit, caring community and knew this school was for me!

Favorite UNH Manchester memory? 

My favorite UNH Manchester memory is the Fall into Winter event the PALs put on every year. Everyone is there having a good time, bonding over crafts and games, and enjoying the good food.  

What’s your favorite class and why? 

My favorite class would have to be Psychology of Consciousness. This senior level class was unlike any other. The content was fascinating, challenging, and fun to learn. Our professor, Dr. Sparrow, set it up as a discussion-based class, so every week I would look forward to having lively, yet fun, debates with my classmates on various topics of consciousness and their relation to psychology and the human experience.   

What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?  

I hope to be an elementary school teacher.

Tell us your favorite:  

• Manchester restaurant: Mr. Mac's, best mac and cheese in town!
  • New Hampshire destination: Any hiking trail in the White Mountains  
  • Vacation destination: Any warm tropical beach in the world! I love the ocean and a nice sunny day.
  • Movie: The Sandlot
  • Book: 1984 by George Orwell

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?  

I would love to just travel the world in general! I’d love to visit Italy, France, Spain, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Japan, Australia, just all over while getting as much experience and knowledge as possible.  

As a child, what did you wish to become when you grew up? 

As a child I had always wanted to be a teacher.

We’d be surprised to know that… 

I am half Puerto Rican and Dominican even though I look entirely like my mother who is Irish and Italian. 

If you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt?  

Honestly, I would try to make the world a better place for everyone, ending hunger, poverty, and allowing access to quality health care. I would give everyone all the human rights they deserve, allowing them to live full lives.

If you could go on a road trip with anyone (from the past or present), who would you choose and where would you go?  

I would take a road trip from the East Coast to the West Coast with my close friends.

CONSIDERING UNH MANCHESTER?
Offering the world-class UNH education in Manchester, UNH Manchester has undergraduate and graduate programs in today's high-demand fields. There's still time to apply for fall 2020 before classes begin August 31. LEARN MORE