UNH hires new chief diversity officer

Tuesday, June 16, 2020
Nadine Petty

Nadine Petty has been hired as UNH’s new chief diversity officer and associate vice president for community, equity and diversity. She currently is the executive director of the Center for Diversity and Enrichment at the University of Iowa. She starts at UNH Aug. 10.

The chief diversity officer is a member of the university’s senior leadership management team.

“UNH has considerable work to do to address systemic racism and how to become antiracist in our respective roles as students, faculty, staff and alumni,” said UNH President James W. Dean, Jr. “Nadine’s extensive experience and work effecting change will play a critical role in helping us to identify the important steps we must take to create institutional change and be part of the solution.”

While at Iowa, Petty collaborated with campus and community partners to lead and implement programming to enrich the campus experience of underrepresented students and also facilitated diversity training for faculty, staff and students. Before going to Iowa, she served as the director of TRIO student support services at the University of Louisville, where she also earned her doctorate in educational leadership and organizational development.

“I am excited about the opportunity to serve UNH for both professional and personal reasons,” said Petty. “Professionally, this position is a natural next step in my career trajectory and this position at UNH is a good fit. Leadership appears ready and eager to embrace the work needed to move diversity initiatives forward and to create a culture of inclusivity for faculty, staff, and students.

“I have been impressed with the knowledge of President Dean as it relates to equity and diversity and his comfort level with discussing aspects of these topics. I also was impressed with his level of involvement with this search,” Petty adds. “It spoke volumes and made me that more certain joining the UNH team was the right choice. I have the experience and expertise to make a meaningful impact, and I look forward to working with UNH to help lead transformational change. And on a personal level, New Hampshire brings me closer to my East Coast family.”