Amada Guapisaca '19 is channeling degrees to further immigration reform

Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Amada Guapisaca chats with a career counselor

Amada Guapisaca ’19 plans to bring her business degree full circle, helping those who are struggling with immigration law disputes.

“As a first-generation student and a second-generation immigrant, my parents had to make sacrifices in order to provide my brother and me with opportunities they did not have," she says. "This is what drives me to exceed expectations and be the best version of myself.”

Guapisaca’s parents immigrated from Ecuador and settled in Queens, New York. After growing up in one of the largest cities in the world, Guapisaca was ready to venture outside of the area, and she found a home at UNH.

"My goal as a future lawyer would be to uphold the law while being fair and just and give people the best chance to improve their quality of life."

UNH provided Guapisaca the space to explore her options. After originally entering college as a biomedical sciences major, she switched to undeclared, which gave her freedom to try new things. 

“As an undeclared student, I had the flexibility to take classes that really fed my interests. I took Intro to Business and International Perspectives and this changed my college path," Guapisaca says. "I realized I wanted to continue to pursue a business degree and eventually chose to double major in economics with a focus in global trade and finance, and international affairs.”

She also became very involved with UNH student organizations like Alpha Kappa Psi and MOSAICO, for which she is currently the chair, and activities run by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. It was this work that solidified her passion for social justice, particularly in the area of immigration reform. 

"The current immigration policies don't give people the most fair opportunities. My goal as a future lawyer would be to uphold the law while being fair and just and give people the best chance to improve their quality of life," Guapisaca says. "In the current climate, my parents wouldn't have been able to immigrate and give my brother and me the opportunities for which we are so grateful."

After graduation, Guapisaca has big plans. She is currently applying for a Fulbright grant to teach English in Brazil while conducting economic research and studying for her LSATs. Her ultimate goal is to practice law and be able to assist people who have been affected by international and immigration policy. Guapisaca’s advice to students about to begin their time at UNH?

“Come into college with an open mind. You have to be willing to explore your options. Although it may not seem like it, there's flexibility and a wide array of career choices for economics majors," Guapisaca says. "Even if it's something you didn't think you would be interested in, throughout the process you may discover something you are passionate about that you wouldn't have known beforehand.”

Learn more about Paul College opportunities.

Lisa Nugent | Web & Mobile Development