Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Dear UNH Community,

I am pleased to share with you the final report of the Presidential Task Force on Campus Climate. In response to a number of bias incidents on our campus last year, I charged a group that included faculty, staff and students, as well as a member of the local chapter of the NAACP, to identify issues of race, inclusion and civility on our campuses and to make recommendations for action. I accept the report and thank the members of the task force for their dedication, time and commitment to making a difference at UNH.

While the report will continue to inform our efforts to address issues of community, equity and diversity, I am pleased that work is already underway. Some examples of action taken by the task force and the broader UNH community over the past year include:

• Ongoing discussion of strategies to address this year’s “Cinco de Mayo.” You will soon begin to hear about this student-led initiative.
  • A social media policy is now included in the Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities.
  • Nearly 2,000 employees on all three campuses have participated in diversity training.
  • University police have undergone diversity training and have developed a plan for ongoing trainings.

One of the recommendations, which I strongly support, is that the task force become a permanent advisory council to continue this important work and monitor progress. As President-elect Jim Dean stressed during his recent visit to campus, diversity, equity and inclusion are central to our mission as a public institution. I am confident Jim will embrace the work of the task force and be a strong leader on these issues for UNH.

Thanks again to all who strive to make the University of New Hampshire such a warm and welcoming community.

Mark W. Huddleston
President