Thursday, September 14, 2017

Welcome back, Wildcats!

I want to start by introducing myself, as this is my first blog post. My name is Shannon, and I'm a junior communication sciences and disorders major with a minor in women’s studies. I'm the new outreach assistant for SHARPP (Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program). I am passionate about the issues of sexual assault, domestic violence and stalking, and I believe that college campuses can do more to help end these incidents. As SHARPP's outreach assistant, I hope to inspire people to attend our special events, such as Take Back the Night and the Annual Anti-Violence Rally and Walk. Through these educational events, awareness will spread around our campus and, as Wildcats, we can set an example for other college campuses around the country.

SHARPP is the Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program. We serve survivors and allies of survivors of sexual assault, relationship abuse, sexual harassment and stalking on campus. Last year SHARPP served 205 people. Our mission is to prevent incidents on our campus through programming efforts and to guide and support survivors and their loved ones when in crisis. We offer many services, including a 24-hour helpline (603) 862-7233; an email service called Ask an Advocate; appointments with fully trained staff members (walk-ins welcome), and much more. If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual violence, please know that SHARPP is here to help.

So, let’s talk about events. The month of September is a busy one, and here’s why: We are welcoming Holly Kearl from Stop Street Harassment to the Johnson Theatre on Wednesday, Sept. 20 at 7 p.m., and we're hosting a Law & Order SVU Discussion Series in McConnell 240 on Sept. 25th from 6 - 8 p.m.

As Wildcats, we watch out for each other. If you want to learn how YOU CAN HELP, go to these events! It is a great way to get involved and become more educated about the issues on this campus and beyond, all while having a great time.

Look for my next blog! I plan to blog about people in the violence intervention and prevention field, and my first interview will be with Holly Kearl from Stop Street Harassment. Learn about what brings people to this field and inspires them to do the important work of ending violence and supporting survivors. As always, Wildcats, stay safe and stay tuned!

graphic and photo of Holly Kearl: Stop Street Harassment founder