5 Ways to Add Physical Activity to Your Day
Find Out How To Be More Active With Just A Few Small Changes.
If you are stuck at work or school all day it can be hard to find time to be active. On really busy days it can seem impossible to even get outside and take a walk. Physical activity is important not only to your physical health, but mental health as well. There are lots of benefits that come with being active such as weight control, lower cholesterol and lower stress levels.
Here are some ways to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine:
- Take the stairs. You’ve probably heard this one before but taking the stairs is a great way to add movement to your day and increase your heart rate. Also, if you continually take the stairs you’ll be able to see the results of your body being active when you can reach the top without being out of breath.
- Take a walk. Sitting for extended periods of time has been proven to have negative effects such as higher risk for heart disease, obesity, cancer, etc. Taking a break every hour or so to get up and walk around will help prevent some of these negative effects and get you moving.
- Wake up and work out. Before getting ready for work do a couple sets of crunches and push-ups or jumping jacks. It won’t take a lot of time and it will set a positive and healthy tone for the rest of your day.
- Wear a pedometer. It is really easy to track your steps. Even if you don’t have a fitness tracker, your phone automatically keeps track of how many steps you are taking when you have it with you. Seeing the number of steps you take get higher and higher throughout the day is fun and it is always a great feeling to see that you’ve met your step goal.
- Add movement to housework. Focus on posture and the different muscle groups you’re using while doing chores such as vacuuming or washing the dishes. For added exercise, listen to music while doing housework- dancing will add some activity to your day and add some fun to your chores.