Extension of Stay for International Students in J-1 Exchange Visitor Classification
The following outlines the procedures for extending your permission to stay in the U.S., either to complete your Program of Study, or to start/complete your "Academic Training" (study-related employment).
When to Extend
- Apply for an extension from OISS or your non-UNH sponsor at least 60 days prior to the date shown in Item #3 of your Form DS-2019.
- If you are uncertain how to reach your non-UNH sponsor, the OISS staff can help you find this information.
You are eligible to apply for an extension of stay if you are:
- Studying full-time, making satisfactory academic progress and have adequate funding; or
- Have completed your program of study and want to participate in "Academic Training;" or
- Are participating in an authorized "Academic Training" program and, within the established time limits, need an extension to finish the program.
- Obtain a letter from your faculty adviser confirming your continued academic progress, full-time student status, and date of program completion.
- Secure an updated letter of award (e.g., scholarship or assistantship), bank statement, or other documents to show sufficient financial support to cover the period of extension.
- Submit all materials to the OISS staff or to your sponsor at least 60 days before your permission to stay expires.
- The OISS will review your materials and issue a new Form DS-2019 if you meet all the requirements. You will then be advised of appropriate procedures to follow to complete the extension.