About Just Food
Just Food is a non-profit organization that connects communities and local farms with the resources and support they need to make fresh, locally grown food accessible to all New Yorkers. Just Food provides regional farmers and food producers, CSA organizers and everyday eaters with the resources and support they need to establish and experience healthy food systems—in every neighborhood.
Since 1995, Just Food has pioneered and championed the proliferation of sustainable food programs, including CSAs, community-run farmers’ markets, and farm-to-food pantry programs. Just Food serves thousands of New Yorkers by forging partnerships between local farms, neighborhood groups, and consumers, and by providing urban communities with a framework for growing, and knowing, healthy food. For more information about Just Food and its programs, visit www.justfood.org.
Spring 2013 Communications Intern (January – May 2013)
Reporting to the Grants and Communications Manager, the Communications intern assists with media outreach, social media, writing and editing, event support and research. Just Food seeks an individual with the capacity to:
- Create content for monthly e-newsletter
- Draft press releases
- Monitor relevant media contacts/issues and develop media lists
- Pitch stories to appropriate media contacts
- Track media coverage
- Assist with website maintenance
- Provide administrative support
- Excellent communication, writing, editing, research, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others
- Enthusiasm for local, seasonal eating and cooking and knowledge of NYC food media
- Be flexible with a great sense of humor
Ideal candidates are pursuing a degree in communications, public relations or journalism.
• January - May.
• 12-16 hours a week (flexible).
• Unpaid, college credit may be available
This position reports to Amy Blankstein, Grants and Communications Manager. Please send a cover letter and resume to amy[at]justfood.org with the subject line “Communications Intern.”