Siena Farms is now hiring apprentices for our 2013 growing season.
Siena Farms is an award-winning 60-acre market farm growing diversified
produce on the fertile soils of the Sudbury River valley, twenty-five miles
west of Boston. We distribute our produce through a 750-member CSA, the Copley
Square farmers’ market, our Siena Farms South End farm store, and area
restaurants including family-owned Oleana and Sofra. We grow our produce using
the traditionally sustainable farming practices of modern organic agriculture,
free of chemical herbicides, pesticides, and synthetic fertilizers.
We are seeking reliable, hardworking, and dedicated individuals motivated by a
strong interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2013 apprentice team.
As an ambitious and innovative farm operation that has grown over seven years
to include a four-season CSA and year-round farm store, Siena Farms offers a
unique learning environment. Apprentices will participate broadly in the
farm’s daily operations, including production, harvest, and marketing, and
will work closely with the management team. Training will be both formal and
informal, and apprentices will gain extensive hands-on experience. Those with
demonstrated aptitude for a particular aspect of our operation will be
encouraged to take on responsibility in that area, with the potential to
return for additional seasons.
As a working apprenticeship on a fast-paced production farm, this position
requires mental and physical stamina. The ideal candidate will have some
experience farming and will be a flexible team player who enjoys working both
independently and under direction, maintains a good attitude, and has the
desire to learn and improve throughout the season.
The 2013 Siena Farms Apprenticeship is a seven-month seasonal position running
from mid-April through mid-December with some flexibility on start and end
dates. Hours range from 50-60 hrs per week during the peak season, 30-40 hrs
per week in the early and late seasons. Compensation is competitive and
commensurate with experience. Benefits include a weekly CSA vegetable share
and discounts at Siena Farms South End, Oleana, and Sofra.
- Daily harvest of our 200+ varieties of vegetables to meet the needs of our
demanding market schedule
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, storing, packing, and
- Planting, including seeding in the greenhouse and mechanized transplanting
in the field
- Cultivation, including hand-weeding to reduce competition and disease
pressure, thinning, etc.
- Other field work and greenhouse tasks as needed throughout the growing
- Building customer relations and assisting with set-up, sales, and break-down
at our Copley Square farmers’ market stand
- Assisting with sales and customer service at Siena Farms South End
- Preparation and packing of orders for weekly restaurant deliveries
- Preparation and packing of CSA farm-shares for pickup and distribution
Additional Learning Opportunities
- In-house training sessions on harvest, production, and marketing techniques,
farm safety, soil fertility practices, and pest and disease management
- Introduction to our extensive array of tractors and implements
- Access and orientation to farm planning materials including crop plans,
field plans, soil tests, etc.
- Opportunities to participate in bi-weekly EMass CRAFT tours (visit
www.emasscraft.org for details)
- Excellent work ethic
- High level of attention to detail and to quality standards
- Ability to take direction as well as to take initiative
- Desire to learn and improve
- Willingness to work outdoors in all conditions
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs repeatedly
- Interest in sustainable agriculture at a commercial scale
If you think you may be a good fit for the 2013 Siena Farms Apprenticeship,
please send a letter of interest and a resume to Dan Kamen at
firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on our farm, please visit