Maryland Cooking Mattes at the Store Outreach Manager
(12 Month temporary position)
No child should grow up hungry in America. Since 1984, Share Our Strength® has led the fight against hunger and poverty by inspiring and organizing individuals and businesses to share their strengths. Share Our Strength, a national nonprofit, is ending childhood hunger in America by ensuring all children get the healthy food they need By connecting kids in need with nutritious food and teaching their families how to cook healthy, affordable meals, the No Kid Hungry Campaign surrounds children in this nation with healthy food where they live, learn and play.
The Cooking Matters at the Store Outreach Manager will be responsible for all aspects of promoting and implementing the Shopping Matters program in Maryland. In coordination with the national Share Our Strength team, the Manager will support the leadership of Share Our Strength’s cooking-based nutrition education program in promoting and implementing a major expansion of the Shopping Matters grocery store tours in Maryland in 2013 and beyond.
Major responsibilities will include managing the growth of the grocery store tour initiative of Cooking Matters, organizing events and trainings, coordinating resource distribution, and engaging external Shopping Matters stakeholders. The Cooking Matters Maryland Outreach Manager works as a member of the Cooking Matters national team at Share Our Strength, the nation’s leading organization working to end childhood hunger in America. This is a temporary position through December 2013.
• Lead Cooking Matters nutrition education initiatives in Maryland and
the partnerships, operations, and administration needed to achieve programmatic goals, with a specific focus on Shopping Matters. Duties include but are not limited to engaging local and state based partner agencies, developing work plans, tracking goals, managing budget and grants, and providing regular updates to state campaign team and Share Our Strength national staff.
• Coordinate materials dissemination, training, and technical assistance
to the Cooking Matters grocery store tour collaborative network across the state of Maryland. Includes helping organize trainings and other events, tour material procurement and dissemination, database coordination, coordinating volunteer engagement efforts and responding to requests for information and training.
• Promote the role of nutrition education in the state of Maryland
through our partnership, facilitator, and tour graduate network. Engage through meetings, events, and trainings and expanding network of supporters, partners, and participants. Support communications staff to promote Cooking Matters’ with a focus on our online communications including the website, Facebook, Twitter, and Flicker. Respond to information requests in a timely manner.
• Support and align activities with the No Kid Hungry campaign in
• Support the overall goals and objectives of the national Share Our
Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign through additional responsibilities and other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Senior Manager, Outreach Operations
Location: Baltimore, MD
• Bachelor’s degree required; Masters in related field preferred
• 3-5 years relevant experience working with low-income communities.
• Experience working with retail food sector desired
• Excellent analytical, project management, time management, budgeting,
and organizational skills required.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills through a number of
channels including but not limited to web conference, email, phone, and in- person.
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain positive, mutually
• Demonstrated ability to initiate, organize, prioritize, and work
independently on multi-step, detail-oriented projects.
• Highly effective within a fluid, entrepreneurial environment.
• High energy, enthusiasm, and a commitment to ensuring all kids get the
healthy food they need.
• Proven effectiveness in a startup or rapid growth environment.
• Experience with health education programming and engagement with low-
income communities desired.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and online communications tools.
Submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: email@example.com.
Reference job title “Maryland Cooking Matters at the Store Outreach Manager”
in the subject line. No calls please. Equal Opportunity Employer.