Film and Video Internship
Kusamala Institute of Agriculture and Ecology (Kusamala) is a local, non- governmental organization that promotes household-level permaculture and agroecology systems in Malawi. Founded in 2009, Kusamala houses Malawi’s largest permaculture demonstration site, Nature’s Gift Permaculture Centre.
Through the Centre’s demonstrations, Kusamala educates individuals and communities on how to improve nutrition, income generation, and environmental health. Through grants and programs, Kusamala conducts outreach, research, and advocacy with the aim to show the viability of permaculture as a local and national agricultural strategy. In a country where farmers are risk-adverse, Kusamala demonstrates how local resources can meet human needs while improving quality of life both for people and the environment. To assist and strengthen our community outreach, education and advocacy programs, Kusamala seeks an experienced film maker.
The film and video intern will work closely with our Director of Communications to create a promotional videos and a series of educational films on permaculture techniques in Malawi. This position will be based at our demonstration center outside the capital city of Lilongwe, but may require travel to Kusamala’s partner communities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
The ideal candidate will:
• Have experience with film production and editing
• Have experience with educational or promotional video production
• Have an understanding of sustainable agriculture, generally, and
• Have experience working in an intercultural environment, ideally in
• Have strong communication skills
• Provide necessary video equipment and editing software
• Be able to commit to the position for at least 3 months, ideally
• Be interested in a unique learning experience at a small, rapidly
growing international non-profit
• Be creative!
• On site housing and lunches during the workweek
• Access to fresh, organic vegetables
• An opportunity to work in a fast growing, diverse, grassroots
• A good learning environment for those interested in permaculture and
To apply please email a cover letter, CV/resume, 2 references and example of work to firstname.lastname@example.org