FARMSTAND OPERATIONS MANAGER
Mission: Fair Food is dedicated to bringing local food to the marketplace and promoting a humane, sustainable agriculture system for the Philadelphia region.
Objective: Working under the supervision of the Deputy Director, the Farmstand Manager oversees and manages staff, daily operation, and organizational goals for the Fair Food Farmstand.
Background: The Fair Food Farmstand carries a variety of fresh produce, meats, poultry, dairy, eggs, cheese and value-added products from organic and sustainable farms within a 150-mile radius of Philadelphia. We emphasize local and seasonal foods and products from small-scale producers. Open seven days a week and assisted by volunteers, the goals of the Farmstand are to educate consumers about the benefits of buying local, to provide the region with a point of access to sustainably-raised food, and to support farmers by providing a market for local products.
Leadership and supervision of staff and volunteers
- Provide daily leadership presence in the Farmstand to supervise Farmstand staff, customer and volunteer interactions, and shift assignments
- Recruit, interview, hire, and train new Farmstand employees and volunteer staff (with support from Deputy Director)
- Create weekly schedules for paid employees and volunteers; monitor schedule to ensure all shifts are covered
- Demonstrate, model and coach highest levels of customer service
- Evaluate performance of Farmstand staff (with support from Deputy Director) by conducting employee reviews annually, developing rewards and incentives, and addressing any behaviors that need improvement as they occur.
- Motivate Farmstand staff by informative emails, conversations, and staff meetings as appropriate.
- Merchandise products effectively to showcase key products, accurately communicate features / benefits, and encourage sales.
Daily oversight of Farmstand operations
- Actively engage and interact with all Farmstand visitors and customers
- Manage a fast-paced workplace, create and maintain a customer experience and perception that reflects a clean, pleasant, and safe environment
- Ensure regulatory and safety compliance
- Drive Farmstand sales through display, interpretation and visual merchandising
- Manage POS and work with Programs Coordinator to administer/process Farmstand income and invoices (bank deposits and bills processing)
- Work in concert with Product Manager to effectively track and manage inventory
- Monitor Farmstand profit and loss, identify sources of waste, and manage costs (with support from Deputy Director)
Develop and document guidelines, procedures, and checklists for Farmstand operations, and ensure employee compliance (with support from Deputy Director)
- Document and facilitate resolution of maintenance and repair needs
- Work closely with Product Manager to familiarize staff with new products, develop strategies for moving products, and support events at the Farmstand (tastings, e.g.)
- Recommend new products based on sales analysis, customer feedback and market opportunities (with support from Product Manager)
Support for programmatic goals of Fair Food
- Act as an ambassador of Fair Food at various public forums and be prepared to talk with customers about Fair Food’s mission
- Maintain communication with Fair Food program/office staff
- Work with colleagues to support consumer education, membership, events and producer relationships
- Support Double Dollars program by developing and managing procedures, customer surveys, and program promotion
- Assist in events and fundraising activities including but not limited to: Annual Appeal, Brewer's Plate, Philly Farm & Food Fest, and annual membership drive
- Other duties assigned by Executive Director and/or Deputy Director
- Retail sales and/or service management experience required; food handling experience beneficial
- Personnel management experience required, including coaching, mentoring, and correcting
- Interest in and commitment to Fair Food mission
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced work environment while delivering a positive and pleasant customer experience
- Ability and willingness to engage and interact with a diversity of colleagues, farmers, and customers
- Some weekend and holiday availability required
- ServSafe Certification beneficial
Relationships: Reports directly to Deputy Director.
Fair Food is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people of diverse backgrounds. To apply, please send resume, cover letter and three references by 5:00 p.m. (EST) Friday, January 18, 2013 to Annemarie Vaeni, Programs Coordinator, email@example.com. No phone calls please.