The Newport Beach Farmers’ Market opened in July of 2010 and is run by Sprouts of Promise Foundation, a community-based non-profit committed to promoting healthy local eating through certified farmers’ markets. Sprouts of Promise operates several farmers’ markets throughout Orange and Los Angeles counties.
The Newport Beach Farmer’s Market is a certified market that hosts farmers, prepared food vendors, and local artisans and crafters. We are committed to providing the local community with top quality products and an inviting community gathering space. We are located on a beautiful red brick road in Lido Marina Village and offer the community live music, onsite healthy cooking demonstrations, nutrition education tips, and numerous promotions to connect local residents to their local food.
Position Description: Farmers' Market Manager
- Approximately 12-15 hours per week to start (with possibility to increase).
- $12-15 per hour based on capabilities plus inherent farmers’ market “perks” (lots of fresh fruits and veggies, farms tours, gaining an intimate knowledge of where your food comes from).
- This position is for an independent contractor. It does not come with benefits.
- Work locations: At the market, from home and other marketing efforts around the local community.
- Must be available on Sundays (generally between the hours of 7:30am-3:30pm); weekday hours are flexible. Saturday flexibility a plus (possibility to help with other markets).
- Will train.
- Trustworthy, dependable and hardworking people-person.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong initiative and ability to self-direct on assignments.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills.
- Team player with ability to take direction and work independently.
- Being a local Newport Beach resident is ideal. Other pluses include experience with marketing, farmers, local food system, cooking, and healthy eating.
- Reliable access to and competence using technology (computer: word, excel, email, social media, etc. and mobile phone) to support both at-home work (computer) and onsite market work (mobile phone).
- Coordinate day-to-day operations of the market
- Handle opening and closing on market days, including some setup and breakdown of tables/tents (lifting up to 30 lbs. may be required)
- Remain onsite during market hours (outside, must be able to handle inclement weather as we are a rain or shine year-round market).
- Perform administrative functions such as distributing, collecting, and recording load sheets.
- Maintain positive relations with both vendors and customers by responding to needs and troubleshooting problems.
- Manage information booth at market.
- Execute local marketing and community outreach initiatives.
- Strategize to increase the market’s customer base and business activity.
- Communicate and report directly to Sprouts of Promise Supervisor.
- Represent and promote the market in the community.
- Recruit farmers and other vendors as appropriate and in coordination with Sprouts of Promise Supervisor.
- Recruit musicians, chefs, and other community participants as appropriate and in coordination with Sprouts of Promise Supervisor.
To apply, please email us at email@example.com
1. Enter “Newport Beach” as subject line of email.
2. Send resume, reflecting relevant experience.
3. In a cover letter or email, please answer the following questions:
a. Why does working at a farmers’ market interest you?
b. Provide one example on how you have previously worked in a community capacity.
c. What is your favorite fruit or vegetable currently in season?