Sitka Farmers Market Manager Job Description
About Sitka Farmer’s Market The Sitka Farmer’s Market is in its sixth year of operation with six markets scheduled for 2013 running every other Saturday. The mission is to sponsor a farmer’s market, which provides locally grown and harvested food, educates the public about nutrition and the importance of eating locally grown and harvested foods and offers musical entertainment, special events and cooking and other demonstrations to create a community festival for the Town. Though the focus is on locally grown and harvested foods, due to the limited number of food producers in Sitka, the markets also feature locally produced art, crafts, and wild-crafted herbal products. Ideally the number of vendors selling local food products will increase each year. The Farmers Market Manager must actively seek local food producers to sell their products at the market.
Job summary The Market Manager is responsible for the operation of the Sitka Farmers Market, working with market vendors, customers and other stakeholders and provides all administrative functions to insure a successful market. The Market Manager also oversees the Co-Manager, who assists with all planning and activities associated with market days. Education and community outreach programs, are also an important part of our mission and we welcome creative ideas in this regard. The Manager receives direction from the Sitka Local Foods Network Board of Directors, but has a single point of contact with the board representative to the Farmers Market. The SLFN Board members provide hands on assistance at the markets such as help with set up and clean-up and selling produce from St. Peters Fellowship Farm at the SLFN Farmers Market booth.
• Participate as a team member to promote market goals working closely with the SLFN Board of Directors. Work closely with the Board of Directors to communicate ideas, provide feedback, and identify potential problems, as well as, offer creative solutions to further the organization’s goals to promote the production and consumption of local foods.
• Work with the Board pre-season to develop and implement an annual action plan for the market.
• Preparing and presenting a Market Manager’s report, during the season for any problems and at the end of the season for a complete overview.
• Recruit vendors for the markets. Suggest starting active recruitment for produce and food vendors at the annual “Let’s Grow Sitka” event in mid-March. Host a table that encourages all gardeners to “plant a row for the market.”
• Design market set-up to accommodate the maximum number of vendors with adequate spacing.
• Conduct spring inventory and assessment of market equipment and supplies (tents, totes, etc…). With approval of the Board purchase needed supplies and equipment for the coming market season.
• Assist SLFN Board to recruit volunteers for set up and take down and other functions.
• Assist with promotion of the Markets: radio spots, interviews, public relations, participate in 4th of July parade, distribute posters, etc… Consider potential for SLFN booth during July 4th activities to promote our mission of healthy local foods (partner with SCS?)
b. Market Day
• Actively manage market operations from set up at 7:30 am to final clean up (usually done by 3:00pm).
• Be present and visible at the markets to answer questions, assist vendors as needed, maintain public order and identify any potential hazards or problems to ensure a clean and safe environment.
• Be aware of the rules for use of the ANB Hall and make sure all vendors and other users are abiding by the rules.
• Interpret and apply the market rules for vendors and others in a consistent and fair manner.
• Settle conflicts in a diplomatic manner.
• Place market signs and barricades where appropriate.
• Locate ANB Hall first aid kit and make sure it is available. Same with fire extinguishers. Make sure emergency exits are not blocked.
• Make sure restrooms are properly cleaned and stocked.
• Direct and supervise volunteer activities.
c. Vendor Relations
• Work with the Board to refine Market rules, policy, and application process to meet the goals of the SLFN.
• Actively recruit and support vendors, handle all vendor communications.
• Ensure all vendors complete an application form and pay required fees.
• Ensure all vendors are given a copy of the market rules.
• Educate about EBT and WIC program application, refer to EBT manager
d. General On-going
• Work with DEC Food Safety representative (Greg Johnstone) to ensure vendor compliance with health department requirements regarding food safety.
• Manage activities and volunteers for each market – volunteers, music, chef demos, educational events, and community partners.
• Perform all administrative functions including vendor billing and receipts, maintenance of volunteer records, mailing list.
• Work with the SLFN Board to insure a professionally run market.
• Maintain positive relationships with all vendors, stay current with vendor offerings, create and manage a vendor application process.
• Actively promote the market to increase awareness and customers utilizing the market.
• With the Education/events committee, present events that will educate the public about health and nutrition.
• Be the spokesperson to the media, Town, the community, and to other markets.
• Present new ideas, best practices from other markets, list serves, etc to the SLFN Board. Suggestions for improving the markets are needed and welcome.
• Actively support the strategic planning process of the Board.
• Able to work with minimal direction
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact, and negotiation ability
• Clear and organized work habits, positive attitude, flexible
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Creative problem solver
• Commitment to local food, nutrition, health and wellness and SLFN’s mission
• Skill in program development and management
• Ability to collect and analyze data about the market
• Keep a current food handlers permit
Further information Information about the Sitka Farmer’s Market, our vendors, and our policies can be found on our website www.sitkalocalfoodsnetwork.org .
Or you may email us at: email@example.com
Farmers Market Manager
Sitka Farmers Market Manager Job Description